Rusty's not very quiet cuda progress

So I found another similar socket, no #'s on it, gonna google the #'s off the short one & see if any info pops up? 20240802_135626.jpg

Last edited:
Look at that, someone makes a socket for Holley power valves. 🤔 And all these years I've been using a crecent wrench. :eek:

Yep, that's something I'll never use!
As a young un I did my break job o a 66 300, then actually changed out a blown 440 in my 65 satellite & put a carb on my 66 gto. Still just a parts changer.
Once I got the 'Cuda back in 74 I never had time to work on my own cars, not even an oil change.
Till the kids went off to college & I all of a sudden had too much free time, still don't work on the charger or the pickup, but I did way more than I ever imagined building the 2 'Cudas

I'll take the power-valve socket (S-8655-B). I could not figure that thing out previously, but with the numbers it's pretty obvious. I've got Holleys in spades--at least a baker's dozen of 'em. Using a 15"-long wrenches on power valves is a pain and I'm always afraid I'm going to damage the metering block.

The deep one looks like a socket for oil-pressure senders and switches.

The first two boxes got here safely Friday. The parts box had a hole with a bolt poking through it, but nothing appears to be missing. Thank you kindly, sir. There's a local fella that needs a couple of body plugs. If any in that kit will work for him (he's got a very nice '69 Charger) I'll pay it forward and give him what he needs from it.

K I'll slip that in one of these boxes.
2 things I'm trying to accomplish here, 1st is for you, to repay all the hours you wasted on me, 2nd is that some of this stuff gets put to good use, my Sons, who will not use it don't have to deal with it when I kick the bucket.
So Mark is the only car guy I know here, he has more tools than most mechanics, I'm not much of a joiner, he only took the 1st balancer puller, at least he got something, most would probably end up in the scrap yard.
Also clearing some much needed shelf space so all around I'm glad to ship it off to a or some new homes!

2 things I'm trying to accomplish here, 1st is for you, to repay all the hours you wasted on me, 2nd is that some of this stuff gets put to good use,
Those hours weren't wasted if everything worked out, which it did. Besides, I learned a bunch regarding how unique the '74 E-bodies really were (so did Kevin, the poor bastard). I also enjoyed modifying and "restoring" that override switch once we realized you needed it. It felt like I was pulling one over on the U.S. government (circa 1973) that mandated that crap. 😁

Speaking of stupid laws for 1974, I recently bought a complete NOS "City/Country" horn setup that NYC mandated for new 1974 models. It was against the law to use the "country" setting--the horn(s) every other US car had--inside NYC. The "city" horn in that kit is the worst-sounding thing I've ever heard. If you've never heard a mortally-wounded deer, consider yourself lucky, but that's what it sounds like. I may use a Road Runner horn in its place.

Anyhow, regarding point #2: The parts will definitely get put to use. I've got two Challengers and I'm missing quite a few parts for my own '74. It was returned to v8440 in a million pieces after being at a body shop and I (knowingly) purchased the whole mess. The '71 will get a bunch of it too, things like the fan clutch (it's a solid-mount fan now). It'll also get the rear-speaker parts because if it ever had 'em, they're long gone (it was an AM/stereo cassette car--the radio itself is impossible to find). Many of the tools will be handed straight to Katie, as I mentioned, who has no fear of working on cars and a lot of mechanical talent. She could definitely use a decent set of tools. Being only 21, she'll get literally a lifetime of use from 'em--which is about the best fate one could ask for their old tools.

I had that city horn & yes it sounded sick, My orig 74 was bought in NY & would have been a 2 or 3 tag car. It was also ordered as a 4 speed, but my dad switched it out to auto, guess He was tired of supplying me with parts I had blown up!
Original write up on the order. orig 74 order form color scan full size.jpg

Last 3 boxes are on the way.
Garage cleanup had a few surprises, My eldest came & took his golf clubs & said he will come back for the other set, Had the wife look at a stroller in there because we are babysitting again, but to skeevy for her to use (it's really not bad) so that can be trashed.
So now I wait for things to cool off a bit & I'll do the scrap metal run, looks like a pretty good pick up load!

K, car is up in the air again, not really for work but we have some flash flood warnings for the next few days, I get 14" high around the house, not sure how high it is in the back, so I'm taking the guess work out of it & will measure the marks after if we do get flooded!

So while it's up there I may remove those extra muffler hangers I put at the trans cross brace, I feel like the whole interior is rattling after I put them in???
It really only gained me maybe an inch of ground clearance if that!20240806_134133.jpg
Found a few more items that I can part with, an eastwood gun, I can't remember why I stopped using his one, It must have screwed up somehow.
But it's complete, 2 tips, a full set of extra seals & gaskets.
20240806_145246.jpg& a filter/seperator for a compressor, it looks used but not much, I think Mr 340 gave this to me many years ago, I had one on my compressor so never used it. 20240806_145012.jpg
Also saw a box of kickdown parts, probably the 2bbl version, I'll get picks up later.

Well we dodged the real bad storms here, so no flash flood in my yard, bet if I left the car down I would have been swamped.
Gotta stop procrastinating & buy the darn insurance so I can get a step closer to actually driving it!

This is the flasher unit I have by the brake pedal, different colors than you mentioned I will check the diagram to see what these colors are for, if not the same thing? 20240812_144154.jpg

They definitely don't show an orange wire at either position, at least in the connector chart. I didn't check the wire diagram directly, but the black/white tracer is shown at the hazard flasher. Also, just by looking, it doesn't appear that the wires in the photo would extend to the far side of the ashtray either--which is where the turn-signal flasher was originally mounted (as shown in this photo).

Had to run out a while so I didn't check the diagram, will do tomorrow, but my turn signals do work, k now on to the hardware.
I had pulled out some screws I was pretty sure were interior for when the headliner & trim went in, then there's a bigger bag of just screws, most from the 2 cuda's but I'm sure a bunch that aren't but got tossed in the bag? 20240812_141030.jpg20240812_140737.jpg
Didn't pick out any door panel screws, I think the big one at the bottom is an armrest screw

NUTS to you! 20240812_141251.jpg20240812_141445.jpg
Big bolts, the engine mount ones I started to round so I bought new20240812_142610.jpgThe unmarked are not sure, the 2 big ones on top look like the leaf spring hanger ones, some of the long ones are probably alt/A/c /PS bracket bolts?

One of the orig leaf bolts needs a rethread
20240812_142619.jpg Some door glass parts, had just enough to fill out the ones I needed.20240812_143147.jpg
trunk goodies20240812_143421.jpgSeat adjuster springs, as you can see one went through the tumbler! 20240812_143552.jpg
More misc. 20240812_143746.jpg

OK, my diagrams show the pink/pink/black for the 4way as you found, also black & red for the turn signals but only 1 wire in each, nothing with an orange in it?

these are out of the 73 book
20240813_150225.jpg20240813_150252.jpg
The color coded one I bought shows a black & a red for the turn signal as above, but all three are pink for the flasher.
They added a blue wire off the black side? 20240813_150408.jpgSince my signals work I may just buy a 4way unit & plug it into the 3 wire connector & see if that gets them going?

I'm going to have a look at the '74 harness I just pulled and see what the hazard configuration is on that one. I can also have Kev look at the '74 harness he's got out of a car that was wrecked back in '79/'80, which we know is unmolested. I'll get back to you with what I find.

The color-coded diagram is almost certainly wrong, though... did you notice it has a blue wire shown going to the turn-signal flasher?

Yep the little note before the pic

It's weird, nothing was cut that I could detect on my harness & not being able to find the second flasher unit is also screwy , I'm gonna go back to all my pics I have of the harness & when I put the wire in the dash & see if it pops out at me?

OK don't go crazy I found a pic of the turn signal flasher, other side of the dash & if I know me it's wire tied way way way up in the dash, hope it never goes bad.20230721_154527.jpg20230813_155438.jpg
Maybe I'll pull the flasher switch on & see if I have any power at the harness plug down there that I can get to.

I went out and looked at mine as soon as I got home.

Both flashers are wired exactly as the service manual says they should be. There is no orange wiring involved in either connector, nor is there a blue wire on the turn-signal connector.

100_6229.JPG

100_6227.JPG

In your second pic, the turn-signal flasher is almost exactly where the factory put it, except of course it was clipped to the side of the ashtray frame. Neither one of those pictures show the hazard-flasher connector, though. It's part of that huge harness that goes out of frame. That's the harness with the ignition and turn-signal switch connectors at the column.

Looking at the previous picture of your actual hazard connector further up, it's evident that sucker got hot at one point. It's partially melted. I see another pink wire in that image but can't see where it goes--it should be the brake-lamp switch at the pedal. There should be three pink wires on that branch of the wiring harness as shown in the second picture: The single wire for the brake-lamp switch and two for the hazard flasher. The pink wire crimped with the black w/tracer feeds the dome lamp. The other pink wire goes to the hazard switch in the column. The single white is the other brake-lamp switch connection. The black w/tracer is a 12V constant power feed, i.e. unswitched from battery positive (always on).

It's worth nothing that nowhere in that branch of the harness was there any orange wiring originally. In fact, there are no orange wires in any branch of the harness within a foot of the fuse box--just orange coming out of the fuseblock and entering the harness:

100_6228.JPG

I'm not sure what's happening with your harness but someone obviously had their fingers in it, probably after whatever caused that connector to melt.

My first suggestion, since it's cheap and easy, would be to just try a different flasher--especially if your dome light works. If the dome light doesn't work, then we'll investigate that orange wire (and the black/tracer wire) further.

My assumption is this: I think that orange wire was installed to replace a melted/burned pink wire. If your dome lamp works, that's almost certainly the case. The dome lamp is fed from the black/tracer wire crimped together with the orange wire on your car (the one that's pink in the FSM and my harness).

The next check is to turn on the hazard switch on the column and check continuity from that lone pink wire on the flasher connector to the following 18-gauge wires at the turn-signal switch connector at the column: brown, light green, tan, or dark green (these can be seen in my last photo above). There should be continuity between that pink wire and all four of those wires. If those connections test out OK, you probably just need a new flasher. If not, you probably have a bad hazard (and hence turn-signal) switch.

K dome light does work, now I went back & zoomed in on the flasher unit, It looks like that orange wire looped back up right there & goes between the other flasher wires where it looks like it turns black, maybe tape or shrink wrap, I'll take a gander & see if I can find a splice back to pink.
Since everything else works (the other wires are on the brake pedal switch & the lights work) I'm just gonna go the easy way & pick up a new flasher unit & pray!

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back