Rusty's not very quiet cuda progress

Stretch mentioned that he's got the same issue with the wipers and lower moulding on his '73 Charger. He's actually got two mouldings and they both fit that way.

OK, Me call it a done deal call it as good as it will be.

Well Bob I ran out of procrastinating material & bit the bullet & tested out the A/C!

We kinda have A/C, I'm thinking the hi is a little high & the low is a little low, it was about 85 out there & I Kept inching it in the high crept up as expected but the low never really hit the mark.
I left it at 225ish & maybe 32-33 on the low, have to figure when it's on the road & there's some air flow through the condenser things will change.
It was cool in the car when I pulled it back in the garage.
If I get a cool day I'll just see if the high settles down a bit, then I can add a bit more.
Just don't want to overdo it!

So out of the whole kit I bought I only needed 2 of the duces, so Jass this will end up in one of your boxes! 20240628_140702.jpgDid a rube goldberg job on the A/C duct, little strapping wire to a screw in the dash frame, pretty sore thumb but at least it won't fall down first bump I hit?20240628_150451.jpg

Last edited:
Today was continuing on the garage cleanup/out, while doing that I stumbled upon a couple of E clips buried in the bottom of the ring clip box & what do you know, one actually fit the wiper arm, so that's done! 20240629_161434.jpgOne of the smaller ones did the job!
got the plates out,2 rusty goes on the wall of shame errrr I mean fame to give me fond memories of the blood sweat & toil!
Rusty2 is the 74's moniker.20240629_160049.jpgSo many hours later I got the top 2 shelves up front cleaned & sorted a bit, threw out many cans & bottles of paint & chemicals, the landfill will cry! 20240629_155948.jpgconsolidated a few boxes, added some metal parts to the Junk run pile, tossed plastic & rubber leftovers.
Empty's to recycle! 20240629_170114.jpgTomorrows job go through all the baggies hanging up, box up leftovers I wont use & hopefully reduce the # hanging to a few! 20240629_170104.jpg

Not being familiar with 134A I googled around a bit, printed out a pressure temp. chart & got some guidelines for cars.
I'm not too far off, both are within the range, but as I said Hi is near the top limit & low near the low limit.
But the car was sitting in the sun, around 85degrees & was getting pretty hot in the bay.
Will see how it looks before everything is roasting!

20240629_170114.jpg
Did you throw out that strat shaped object?

Not yet, wanna buy it?
My son bought that years ago to mess with it, there's a box with a bunch of parts that go to it, I am meaning to ask him if I can toss it, been moving it out of my way for too many years!

If it was a hardtail yeah, but I realized I could zoom and it it looks like it's got some kind of a tremolo in it.

I see the magnets are still good.

Give it to goodwill. (y)

BBB, that thing is pretty beat, I'll see what the kid says tonight???

Good catch 71, I just put the front center caps & the front spacers in the junk pile, don't know if you need them, but I'll put em with the wheels, caps are pretty beat.

Glad you will take the press set, I was just thinking of bringing it to my mechanics place & see if they (3 guys there) could use it!

Start a conversation, we can exchange info there & set up the meeting!

Dr J, a little preview of some of the next gift box.
20240630_142334.jpg
During cleanout I ran across what looks like a complete fader harness & 1 extra switch, since your interest in the speaker harness could you use this too? 20240630_154441.jpg

Broke my heart but I just recycled the gauge bezel & lens, was pretty warped, but at one point I paid bucks for it.

Might throw these on ebay & see if I get a bite? Actually, had the defogger in my orig. car, probably why I bought it but never went after the rear gear.
A 2 speed wiper switch & a pretty clean clock blank?
20240630_154902.jpg

Making some progress on the cleanup, moved house/shop stuff to both ends & got the center emptied well for now! 20240630_155841.jpg20240630_155857.jpg20240630_155903.jpgMoved some stuff up to the top shelf.............20240630_155819.jpgGetting close to 3/4 of the back bench clear!20240630_155915.jpg

Found another little missing detail & did a MAJOR job on the car!
Put on the drain flap, it did not go easy & sticking my hands/arms in there it drew blood! 20240630_160352.jpg

Thanks but I'll pass, I'm almost DONE, don't want to take half the car apart to put that system in.
Not planning on driving around in the rain.
It was a useful option on my original 'Cuda back in the day, that car had to go in all weather to get me to work & I was going NY to NJ every day!

Cleanup continues, I may kick the bucket before this job is done, but at least I have most of the bench cleared! 20240701_160440.jpg
Working the garbage men pretty good, 2 big bags out already, another ready to go & lots of nasty old cardboard! 20240701_160623.jpg

Still cleaning, found a couple more things to send off to a good home.
2 brand new gates belts 7560 &7580.
And a new 3"x14" air filter, cost more to return than they are worth! FREE!
20240702_142246.jpg

Jass, could you put them back in stock at the store if no one can use, I hate to just toss em!

Last edited:
I've no use for the wiper motor, but the fader parts are of interest. Ditto the air filter and belts if you can't return 'em. I always keep stuff like that around because some of my stuff ends up being non-standard.

The headlamp switch should bring a few bucks. Not all of E-bodies had that dot, and regardless of the "guidelines" and "rules" I've read, I can find no rhyme nor reason as to which cars had 'em and which didn't. My original '73 didn't, both of my '74s did, my best friend's '74 'Cuda did not, and I can't recall what's in the '71 (which should supposedly have a white dot). My '72 Rallye cluster didn't have one, but the one I bought from 6pkrunner did (he said it came out of a '72 as well). To confuse things further, sometimes it was a pale-blue dot, some yellow, some white. I haven't got a yellow one in stock but I'm not trying to collect 'em all.

I have a rear-defog Rallye switch panel but no switch for it, nor the rest of the parts. I'm not sad, though, because the switch that was in it was a '70-'71 convertible top switch. That switch by itself brought 2/3 of what I paid for the complete Rallye cluster. I have a spare switch handle that I'll install onto a center-off momentary switch for power door locks. That's my plan, anyhow.

Regardless, those switches might be worth trying to sell, since the switches are the same for Rallye and standard clusters.

Obviously I'll take anything E-body if it's just going into the trash.

I have your dash mouling packed and ready to go; it's getting out that's been the trick. I could've done it today if I wanted to get dousing wet, which I did not. It's supposed to be nice tomorrow, so if we're not crazy I should be able to duck out. I have Bob's solid motor mount to go as well, but I've been trying to find something else I wanted to put in the box with it. One more go-round in the garage tonight; if I can't find it so be it.

Think it's time to start another box for you, wiring, filter & belts 1st in.
Oh yea, I have another neutral safety harness , I can send that to replace the one you sent me.

I took pics of those dash parts, but still haven't sat down & put them on ebay, I'm with Bob on the procrastinate a while before making the moves.

So I'm hoping my 05 ram pickup battery drain down problem is finally fixed. guess I'll know in a few days, had it in for inspection & asked them to change the wiper switch on the arm & the park relay, someone steered me in that direction.
The mechanic thought on it a while & remembered that it's usually the switch in the motor that causes the parking to fail, He changed the motor first.
It was still draining down, & the battery they warranted 2 years ago was testing bad, so they tested the battery, with the cables off it was losing power over night.
Warranted it again (to my surprise because the original one would have been out by now) & hooked everything up & let it sit a few days & it started every AM.
Now in the beginning of this problem it would take a few days to a week to drain down, so I won't be sure till it sits a week or 2!
I'm hoping that one is finally solved, been going on almost 3 years.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back