Rusty's not very quiet cuda progress

Welp, never got to it, I was ordering more wheel paint & didn't realize I had a gas tank in the cart at summit racing & went ahead & ordered both, it's an AMD tank so I hope it's good, their sheet metal parts were good.

Got the order confirmation & it does state it has the 4 vent lines! yea!

Located 2 more cans of the exact # mopar paint for the wheels so I tried out the old stuff, sprayed a little on some cardboard & seemed good to go so I shot one of the rims, it looks a tad lighter than the dirty old original one, but I'm going to shoot those too.
even wiped some of the crud off the trim ring. 20221123_150821.jpg
So my new battle is with the door lock/opening mechanism, can't get the inside handle to release the door , outside handle will, also the key doesn't seem to do anything, still trying to locate the outside handle with the key slot to hook up the other door which I didn't pull everything out of, that will hopefully give me a clue to what's amiss in there, fun fun fun!
Had those parts in & out of there many times already! 20221123_151034.jpg
The rod that's further from the hole may be upside down (or inside out?) it pulls on the mech. but wont click the latch open?

New handle does look good though! 20221123_151049.jpg

So after I set up a rim for a shot of paint on the back to heat up I continued the search for the door handle, first I checked the key into the broken one, & that was not it (didn't remember a broken handle on the car) started working my way around the garage going thru all the boxes AGAIN, was just about to hit the last 3 in the corner when the stack of bags on the bench that are in various stages of cleanup caught my eye, I said what the hey, might as well check those first, 3rd bag in LARGE as life there she be!
Checked the key & yes it's the right one, so I take it to the bench to clean the parts I will use off it, turns put I had a note on one rod, was hooked up in a different place then the other door, turns out to be a rube fix, made of copper, got the good rod cleaned also found 2 pretty clean lock levers, yea!I

I think I wasted 4 or 5 hours on these searches. 20221124_132422.jpg
Rim nice & toasty I shot a coat of eastwoods stainless steel on the back, almost looks like a metallic silver, don't really care what's back there , just want paint to stop rust.
Maybe reverse the rims! (JK)20221124_130717.jpg

I'm loosing it, went to order 2 cans of the argent paint & didn't notice I had a gas tank in the cart, I was still checking those out. ahhh I had to do it sooner or later so I went ahead with the whole order.
Then today I'm looking for the door handle, most sell em in pairs, year one had singles, so I get that order going, by the time tax & shipping were added I was at 100 bucks, geeze the #'s have gone way up but I bit the bullet & hit the buy button.
Now I'm thinking I saw a pair for 115 with free shipping, probably should have done that & sold the extra on ebay for 50 or so?
???

So all that rummaging around led me to dig out a few more parts that needed clean & paint, 2 blue plastic pieces will complete the inside window/roof trim parts.
trunk gear cover & hardware for the gas tank will almost complete the trunk & gas tank, just need to find a new trunk lock piece.
The rod is for the kickdown linkage, the rest of those parts are in the tumbler. 20221125_140922.jpg
So I cleaned up the best of the trim rings, this will go on the spare. think I will be buying new for the good wheels. 20221125_143212.jpg
Was then going to play tin man, & see if I could save a few others, well that ended quick, there's a ring on the back so you can't get a dolly in there. 20221125_143132.jpgOne had a bulge on the inside so I beat on that a while just to see, got it a bit flatter but beat up the metal pretty good. 20221125_143828.jpg20221125_145109.jpg
Went to clean up another that didn't look too bad & found it a bit shinny in the middle, looked at the back, it's from a different car! 20221125_145251.jpg20221125_145258.jpg
Last item was to shoot a coat of matt clear on the back of a rim to see what that looks like & seal the paint, toned it down a bit, I think for back there plenty usable.
One on the left.20221125_151034.jpg
Then I hit the puter & ordered the other parts for the gas tank, pad that goes on top, rubber grommet for the fill tube, trunk floor seal around the tube & the sending unit so when it all arrives I can actually put it on the car!

What's on the fourth?

JK, even though I want 15's, at this point if I only have to buy trim rings I'll be over a grand in savings, sooooo , with all prices up & a ton of parts I have to buy, she'll have little feet, will it make that much difference, NO, I'm not gonna race it , just want to tool around a while before I croak!

Finished off 2 rims, then shot a coat of primer on the black experiment so I'm starting with a light color under the argent, not sure if it would darken it?
so I have the front of that one & then have to clean the two "dry" ones & get those painted & Ill have 5 so the spare has one too, factory cheapo's put a reg. black rim on the spare.
Still waiting on the parts orders, not even a email with tracking yet!
So I dug out the kickdown linkage I picked up on ebay after I stole the 74's for the 73 the linkage in that because of the hi rise would not work, looked at the 74 it also had a hi rise but this one was working.
It came with 2 mounting brackets, pretty sure it's the single, but cleaned up the other anyway, the purple would not come off in the tumbler so I stripped it & then threw it back in. 20221125_135847.jpg
Rod is already painted, black is due in tomorrow so I can finish off the hardware & start on those other pieces I pulled out the other day! 20221127_141516.jpg

Got a coat of argent on the last "rusty" rim, just need to clear it & 3 are done, washed the 2 "dry" rims, seems to be a lot of paint on the back & a little rust so I'm gonna give them a blasting first.
dug out a few more interior pieces that need some black paint & a ton of TLC.20221129_133413.jpg
what a mess these 2 are, the dark blue is paint that some of the interior was smothered with, not sure what the green is?
Started on the small piece & both the green & dark blue came off a little with a scraper.
20221129_134038.jpg

Then I tried some paint stripper, worked on what was left of the dark blue but didn't touch that green ? 20221129_141228.jpg
Tried a fairly soft wire wheel & it did get some more green off but also scratched the plastic.20221129_144025.jpg
I think I have to give up on the texture in what I think is the original blue under there, gonna try a couple coats of primer & some sanding?

The other piece was mostly that green, stripper worked on the dark blue & took it right down to the (what I think) is the orig. blue? 20221129_144035.jpg
Didn't touch the green, I tried fantastic, marine clean & even solvent on the dirt areas & it wouldn't budge, so I think prime & sand flat is my only option.20221129_145846.jpg

I'm surprised you didn't dig a hole through that kick panel with a wire wheel. Some colors deteriorate the plastic under them. I've got a set of brown ones here that I'm pretty sure I could dig a hole through with my fingernail.

FWIW when you paint those there used to be a flex coat recommended before you paint plastic. I used it on a gTx dashpad and it turned out great.

Amazingly these panels are pretty solid, the ones off the 73 were like that you could scratch off plastic with your fingernail. haven't really inspected the door & quarter window parts yet, but if I saved the 73's I have a good chance of saving these (I hope).

After a shot of primer it showed how bad the panels are, gonna have to pick up more hi build & start the shoot & sand process again. 20221130_131301.jpg
Got some black on more trim pieces. 20221130_142214.jpg
Got the clear on that 3rd rim.20221130_142222.jpg
& bestie of all the gas tank arrived, no email no tracking but hey it's here, too bad the parts are not coming till the 5th or 6th.

So wondering what to do about coating it, can you clear bare metal, or do I have to prime, paint (& loose that nice metal color) & then clear? 20221130_124449.jpg

There are some clear spray bombs available that are suitable for direct-to-metal. Can't think of the brand names... but really, any clear that's compatible for automotive should be ok.

A used-car-lot trick for those kick panels: rocker guard sprayed at a distance will fool most first glances...

I have a little performance coatings left & plenty of 4CR clear left.
Would like to finish off the PC if that will do it?

short session today, managed to sand the paint off the front of the scoop inserts before I clear them, my attempt to make them look like they actually take in air!

front one done...........20221201_150648.jpg
Got the clear on some more hardware.............20221201_151523.jpg

Finished off the black on the A pillar covers & dug out a few more interior pieces to see if they can be saved.
Arm rests are DIRTY , couple of rounds with fantastic & a rag, & then stole the wifes dobie pad, no help, I will probably buy new, but might paint em black just to see how they come out. 20221202_145846.jpg
quite a difference from the orig. blue on the bottom! 20221202_150107.jpg

I ordered the trunk/console & glove box locks, now I hope they are correct because I went ahead & cut the one off the glove box door!
clamped it to the bench so the lock would be as hi as possible on the back side............20221203_141254.jpg
Made the cut & with a little tap it did fall out!20221203_141448.jpg
even with all that that center area will still not come out! 20221203_141934.jpg

Attachments

• 20221203_141452.jpg
    20221203_141452.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221203_144319.jpg
    20221203_144319.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Then I sanded off all that nasty dark blue paint..................20221203_144319.jpg
Shot a coat of primer on the back first to see if anything bubbles or peals! 20221203_144426.jpg
Good there so I hit the front.......... now I have to bring the dash frame in I was trying to shoot that outside, never got around to it before the weather went bye bye.20221203_145301.jpg

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back