What are you working on?

Nope she moved down to the Vancouver area...out in Abbotsford. It's a long drive from PG to the coast....;) Patches does the trip one way on a tank of fuel, or about 100L...loaded or empty. :)

Shops looking good with addition, I remember how tight it was from when I was down there picking up the Desoto.

Nope she moved down to the Vancouver area...out in Abbotsford. It's a long drive from PG to the coast....;) Patches does the trip one way on a tank of fuel, or about 100L...loaded or empty. :)

Shops looking good with addition, I remember how tight it was from when I was down there picking up the Desoto.
damn i thought you were a good bit closer, and for some reason more east, your now just as far away as my sisterinlaw..creston.....

I scuffed and painted the wood posts holding up the roof over our patio.

I got a late start and had to make a couple of trips for supplies.
Including paint.
I hadn’t planned on doing this today. At all.

With the late start and the trips, coupled with the time change, I ended up finishing up in the dark.

[Platinum Blonde vocals]Painting In The Dark. Painting In The Dark. Painting In The Dark. [/Platinum Blonde vocals]

just finished a l460e swap on a 04 trailblazer...next up a trans swap on a v6 accord......poor guy blew his trans bought a used truck and blew that trans the next day

If it wasn't for bad luck he'd have no luck at all... 😖
the truely funny part, that neither of us made note of 04 trail blazer 02 accord
both white, both blew the trans, both had perfect interiors and similar mileage, both bought at pick n pull and driven home, both had alot of new front suspension/brake work done to them in the "recent" past ...the biggest kicker..both have rear bumper damage in the EXACT same spot but are otehrwise very nice clean examples ...both transmissions died within about a week of eachother LOL

one was bought not far from me one was bought way up in washington by him...several years apart

This morning I went up to work to do a quick transmision fluid and filter change on my 2014 ram 2500.

5 hours later.....

LOL

There is 240,000 miles on my truck so I can't complain. To be honest I was shocked at how clean the pan was. No debris what so ever on the bottom of the pan and next to nothing stuck to the magnet. Then I looked at the valve body.

I really wanted to pretend I didn't see what I saw but I was standing there looking at it so I had to.

Three of the acumulator plate bolts had backed out, the plate was bent and one of the piston teflon ring seals was dickered and hanging out of the piston bore. How did this thing work?
I guess that explanes the 30+ second shift time going into reverse that had developed over the last couple of weeks.

No 66rfe parts in any parts store in the area and the local dodge dealer parts department is closed on Saturday.

I ended up calling a friend who rebuilds transmissions and as luck would have it, he had an open kit with the parts I needed.

20221112_112320.jpg20221112_130051.jpg20221112_112322.jpg20221112_112326.jpg

Last edited:
20221106_110029.jpg

20221106_110325.jpg

I bought this back in 2014 to work in a house before the power was on. I let gas dry up in it many years ago, and knew it needed repair, then last winter my BIL came and insisted on borrowing it. I knew it wouldn't start but thought the exercise yanking the rope might keep him warm so I let him use it.

When he brought it back, of course it hadn't started and it leaked a bunch of gas on the garage floor before I finally noticed it. I had to fix it anyway, so no big loss but it was curious how trying to start it caused a fuel leak in a basically new generator.

The first video I watched only talked about fuel drying up and blocking the primary jet and used acid to clean it. I used a piece of a wire bread tie. Once that was clear the motor hit on the first pull, but wouldn't run without the choke.

Next I found out about the pilot jet, which causes exactly that. You can access it from outside the carb so you don't have to pull it to work on that. That was too clogged up so the wire didn't work. I also tried welding wire to no avail, and eventually used the smallest drill bit I have to clear it. Then it would start and run but it would rev, kick the governor, rev, etc.

I think my bit cleaning the pilot changed the size and is causing that so I put a new pilot jet in yesterday. I don't know if that fixed it because because I'm not finished and I don't want to put gas in it just yet. The revving could also be that the throttle screw had to come out to access the pilot jet and it isn't exactly back where it came from (I counted turns from all the way in).

While I was fixing the primary jet, I noticed the shutoff valve didn't work. I also found that the float valve was stuck open. Those two things caused the gas leak - the float didn't stop flow into the carb, and the shutoff valve didn't stop flow out of the tank. The fuel just drained right through.

FWIW, if you're just going to replace junk with junk and not try to upgrade the thing, I found a carb/shutoff package deal for less than a carburetor alone. I had done several Amazon searches before finding it though - the best deal never shows up the first time.

I bought this back in 2014 to work in a house before the power was on. I let gas dry up in it many years ago, and knew it needed repair, then last winter my BIL came and insisted on borrowing it. I knew it wouldn't start but thought the exercise yanking the rope might keep him warm so I let him use it.
This. This is perfection. 😂

Whie I was reading what you'd done, I wondered if you'd looked into just replacing carb. I have a very similar generic-ator (4000W peak) and last I looked, the carburetor was about $14. I need one for mine because the fuel tanks rust very badly in those units. I think I bought the fuel tank for under $40 shipped before I realized the smiting it had done on the carb.

Still need the carb, of course... thanks for the reminder!

Ethanol based gasoline is the scourge of all small engines. (weedeaters, chainsaws, lawnmowers, mopeds, etc.) As the good Doc pointed out, replacing parts piece-meal costs more than a replacement carb. But these carbs are mostly low quality Chineseum. I've found that the best course is a thorough cleaning & rebuild of the OEM carb is the best route. And, AVOID ethanol.

Today was good. I ran up to work first thing this morning and made some repairs on my wifes car.

When I came home I set the Shart down to check ride height with the Super stock springs. I fully expected to take measurements to give to the spring shop I worked for to de-arch these springs. Nope! She came up 2". I like it right where it's at so I jacked it back up, installed the shocks and torqued the hardware.

Next I moved on to modifying the 1974 4 speed floor hump to fit my 1973 floor pan. The back edge of the '74 hump is cut higher in the rear do to the '74s having a floor pan with the provisions for catalytic converter clearance. I fabracobbled a patch for that difference. Next I'll fabracobble a repair panel for the rusty flange on the side of the hump.

20221113_165028.jpg20221113_165042.jpg20221113_165038.jpg20221113_105246.jpg

ive got a honda stuck on my lift......
so i turned to my wifes snow tires...er..the wheels and busted em down, the rears are keepers the fronts will be new this season..but with that said, why does one have to rock ugly ass wheels for winter?

initialy i found a neer matching set of 13inch wheels to whats on it, but with the pickings for snow tires coming in only scary narrow for how i drive...ima hold onto those and save em for the lifted yaris we will eventualy build since theres some NICE chunky rubber selections

anyway i blasted all 4 wheels with the intention of just color matching em to the car, but was eyeballing my moon discs from the lloyd which have been damaged..minorly but too much to keep on the lloyd...so i added 3 studs per wheel to mount em..laid epoxy earlier tonight..hoping i can color and clear tommaro

This. This is perfection. 😂

Whie I was reading what you'd done, I wondered if you'd looked into just replacing carb. I have a very similar generic-ator (4000W peak) and last I looked, the carburetor was about $14. I need one for mine because the fuel tanks rust very badly in those units. I think I bought the fuel tank for under $40 shipped before I realized the smiting it had done on the carb.

Still need the carb, of course... thanks for the reminder!
I bought a spare carb, new shut off, and a fuel filter for $15. The pilot jet was $10, but I wanted to get the carb I've got working because my thinking is/was, I've got ot going now, but if it happens again, I know how to clean the carb I've got. If it's too cold/dark/etc to mess with that or if I can't get it working I can just slap the new carb on it and get it going.

I should invest in a whole house natural gas generator anyway but I think would be a nightmare getting the cable from outside inside and figure the installation cost on that would be ridiculous and would prefer to avoid having my backyard trenched for it.. This little HF job should do the trick to avoid losing a fridge and freezer full of food though.

As the good Doc pointed out, replacing parts piece-meal costs more than a replacement carb. But these carbs are mostly low quality Chineseum.
As is the original in this case. These ain't Honda generators, 68, they're low-rent ripoffs thereof. There's no real argument for keeping the original. While I've not used one myself, I've directed a number of would-be carburetor customers to eBay and/or Amazon, and all have worked out well. One customer has told me numerous times that his $18 eBay Kohler carburetor (one where I'd have stuck with an OE myself) still works like a champ. He bought it about 4 years ago. I told him at the time, "Ethanol-free premium only if you want it to last." It's lasted.

I should invest in a whole house natural gas generator anyway but I think would be a nightmare getting the cable from outside inside and figure the installation cost on that would be ridiculous and would prefer to avoid having my backyard trenched for it.. This little HF job should do the trick to avoid losing a fridge and freezer full of food though.
I was just looking at the generator lockout kits yesterday at Home Depot, completely by coincidence. Simple enough to do yourself, other than trenching for the cable. You'd probably have to have an inspector sign off on your work, but it's not terribly difficult to do.

Ethanol-free premium only if you want it to last
I bought a new chainsaw, used it once, wouldn't start the next time I needed it. They're relatively cheap so I bought another and started using TruFuel in it. The replacement has never failed to start.

Engineered Fuel & Oil | Ready to Use, Pre-Mixed Ethanol-Free Fuel

They make a non-blended version but it's kind of pricey to run a generator

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TRUFUEL-1-oz-4-cycle-Fuel/1001851146

It's odd (IMO) that our mowers never fail to start in the spring with straight pump gas in them. Maybe they don't sit long enough to be harmed, but we've got one old beat up one that I use to mow our abandoned tennis court (another story) that is only used once a year.

I was just looking at the generator lockout kits yesterday at Home Depot, completely by coincidence. Simple enough to do yourself, other than trenching for the cable. You'd probably have to have an inspector sign off on your work, but it's not terribly difficult to do.
I would bite the bullet and hire an electrical contractor to do the whole thing. There's trenching for the cable, going under a sidewalk, through a brick/cinderblock wall, and from one side of the attached garage to the other to deal with here. I could see me having trouble hitting the wall in the right place. The sidewalk is against the house so there's really no way to get through the wall from one side without cutting out a section of the sidewalk. I also have memories of knocking a hole through a foundation for a water line once. We used a big assed pipe, that got stuck and we like to never got it out.

I bought a new chainsaw, used it once, wouldn't start the next time I needed it. They're relatively cheap so I bought another and started using TruFuel in it. The replacement has never failed to start.
When I bought my string trimmer in '16, the warranty went from 1 year to 3 if I bought three containers of "genuine" Husqvarna fuel. Hell, I need fuel anyway so I went for it. It's started on the second pull every spring in the subsequent six years. It's still got the factory spark plug. I'm not even halfway through the fuel I bought either... there's not much trimming to be done in my tiny yard.

We stock the TruFuel premix but it's a hard sell because of the price. I'm sure it's the exact-same stuff as in the Husqy can, what-fer Husqvarna doesn't own a refinery. It definitely makes a difference in two-strokes, which seem to be a lot more susceptible to ethanol murder than four-stroke engines. While the argument can be made that there are treatments that work well to combat ethanol-poisoned fuel (Marine Sta-Bil, Seafoam, etc.), my rebuttal is that if the contaminants were never there, there's nothing to treat. As a bonus, no treatment = no by-products.

Filling the generator with TruFuel would definitely be painful. The benefits might be worth it, though, since the generator would be more efficient, the fuel system would suffer less damage, and let's be honest: if it's a backup unit, how many gallons a year get run through it? We don't get many blackouts (my, and two other houses in the entire neighborhood get more than most--long story) and when we do, they generally don't last long enough that I end up tossing food. I've run a lot more fuel through my generator in junkyards or just to run it (and use power tools in the yard, for instance) than I have for actual emergencies. I don't think I've run more than six gallons through it in eight years.

We lose power here relatively often because this neighborhood has a lot of trees. I think it was last winter that we had an ice storm and there was a constant crashing sound of trees breaking and falling for hours. Surprisingly we didn't lose power that time.

We lost power for a full week due to a "derecho" that came through. It blew from the north at 70-80 MPH, where everything is adapted to the typical wind from the west, so that made a mess out of trees. We went outside and stood marveling at it without once thinking how bad it would be if it for example blew a birdhouse right into my face :D

Now that I've got the generator going again I'll probably just buy a can of gas and add Sta-bil to it for the winter. From Spring through Fall there's always a can of fuel available thanks to cutting the accursed grass.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back