Thinking of getting out. Long. Sorry.

not a charger

I'm not sure what's wrong. Last year, when I went to the track with Bob (Prosport), I had the time of my life. I couldn't sleep that night, I was so excited. I drove the car a few more times that year, then put it away in November. I didn't touch it again until April, and so far, I've driven it 4 times. Not too bad, eh? Well, here's the problem.

I can honestly say that I haven't enjoyed driving the car one bit this year. Not at all. I don't hate it...that's not what I mean. I'm just sort-of "blah" about the whole thing, which makes me think it's time to let it go.

I just got back from an almost 2-hour drive. The car ran great, other than stalling twice at red lights, which got me really upset because the carb was just tuned last fall and ran great, and I haven't messed with it, yet the car still stalled twice. This didn't help my mood. I know how to spin a wrench, but I don't always know which nut to put the wrench on, if you know what I mean. I got a knot in my stomach the first time it stalled, and it didn't go away until I parked the car in the garage.

If something goes wrong with this car, it's usually above my head. That's not a good feeling. I end up having to rely on the kindness of Prosport and a few other nice folks from Moparts (no one from Nuts lives near me, unless you count XL, but there's that pesky lake in the way) to get it fixed, even though none of them live within 30 minutes of my house, which makes it a burden for them to help me, though they're all too nice to say so.

I am torn. I know that I'll kick myself at times if I let it go. However, I often find myself feeling as though I like having an old car more than I like driving an old car. I should be ejnoying the heck out of this car. It's fast. It's loud. It sounds mean. It looks cool. It gets lots of waves, compliments, etc..., it's well-built (Bob has a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in this car, and it shows), and so on. For some reason, I'm not. I usually cruise alone, which is boring, even in the Scamp. The car really isn't conducive to long-distance (4:30 gears) or family (6 pt cage) cruising. Also, I'm paranoid that stuff will go wrong that I don't know how to fix.

On the other hand, I have a tough time imagining it not being in my garage, not hearing my daughter say "Green Car! Rumble Rumble!" when I fire it up, not being able to tell people it's mine, and so on. But for some reason, seat time behind the wheel just isn't giving me any enjoyment. Has anyone else gotten to this point? If so, what did you do, and were you happy with your decision?

Sorry this is so long. I guess I'm just bummed that I came to this realization.

Sorry for those of you who had to read my drivel here and on Moparts. I trust the opinions of many of the Nuthouse members, which is why I posted it on both sites. :)

Been there several times and I've found the best medicine is to leave the car alone till the urge hits to enjoy it. Buying parts and performing modifications keep's me interested it seems. Many times I have threatened to sell the RR but I'm glad I didn't. These machines of ours are mearly Toys and it's up to the individual whether or not you want to play with 'em.
If another hobby or pastime makes you happier than so be it.

I hear that.

Many a day when I think life would would be easier without the Hot Rod payment.

Hard decision to make.

I'm lucky. I paid cash for it. It doesn't cost me anything but gas money and $200/year for the scam that is auto insurance. [smilie=e: [smilie=a:

I don't need to sell it. We can remodel the kitchen anyway, and my wife's student loan (2.9%) will be paid off in 2 years as things stand now. I just find myself thinking that I could do a lot of stuff with the money that is tied up in the Green Meanie. [smilie=e:

If you decide to sell it can it be replaced for the same amount? Did you add some stay-bil to your fuel when you parked it? Blended fuel goes sour real quick. I havnt had a muscle car running and insured for quite some time but recently got a drivers liscense again and feel I can risk my lead foot to behave enough to try it again. Somebody has to keep the rodding spirit alive and it MUST be our job. Who else is going to do it? Change the oil. Dump some seafoam in it. Wax the piss out of it and go to the track and kick ass. Make some new friends in the proccess and pass it on PLEASE. [smilie=e:

Been in your shoes a long time ago. I had a 64 Sport Fury, 383 +.060, 4 gear, 4:10's, crane, hedmans.

Driving it was a blast, as long as it was a local run. [smilie=s:
I got tired of constantly tinkering and tightening just to keep it running. A very valuable lesson I learned was that a "race" car never lives well on the street.
Ever since that car I've made a point of making them run the best they can "as built". Never doing much more than minor porting, elec. ign or other "upgrades".
Ma built a lot of respectable muscle cars that demand respect in their own right and are also very dependable automobiles.

My R/T has had nothing more done to it than the mods stated above and made it Nova Scrotum and back with the only glitch being an overheated electric fuel pump. It's enjoyable to drive, gets the nods & thumbs up that you enjoy.
The 440 in my waGOON is also "as built" save for the porting, elect. ign. and some dist. re-curving. That one made it to the nats and back trouble-free.
A lot of other guys would love to have your Dart, "different strokes for different folks"
Personally I prefer a car that's more usable and dependable but still lets me enjoy the hobby.

If I remember right, the reason you sold your R/T is because you "wanted more" and didn't want to butcher an original.
A very common mistake made by many for a lot of years, either to have the "fastest", [size=2]...and no longer drivable[/size] or to have a perfect, 100 points car. ..and no longer enjoyable [smilie=e:

You enjoy the hobby but not the car, sell it and invest in something more like what you had. You may not have as much zoooom but you'll still enjoy it for less gas and hassles. [smilie=c:

sell it and you will be kicking yourself for the rest of your life..maybe not right away..but sooner or later

park it and forget about it is the best thing hands down
something that might help you also would be to brush up on "roadside repairs" that concern your car ...as this will give you peace of mind while driveing..knowing that you "should" be able to handle any minor problems it could toss at you while out

these old girls need TLC blood sweat and tears ...and dont mind MAKEING you give it to them from time to time

NAC,
Sell it, keep it, part it, its your car do with it as you please. I've spent many nights thinking about what I would do if I didn't have a car to work on. And now since I'm out of work I have to consider the sale of the car to help feed and pay bills. But I know that if I do sell it there will come a time that another car will be in my workshop.
We all make the decision to be in this hobby most of us because we love the cars, Ithink thats why you got in it. Step back and take a few to consider what it will be like without the car in your life and maybe if just a different car would be better.

I appreciate the input everyone. I think 68 is partially right...the car is a lot of work to drive. I did dump the R/T for the reasons he mentioned. However, I loved driving the Scamp until this year. I'm not tired of it, per se...it's just no fun anymore, and I don't really know why. A guy on Moparts said (and my wife agreed with him, so he must be right :D ) that it appears I like having it more than I like driving it. That is probably accurate.

The Scamp has been very dependable. Aside from stalling twice (which has to be a simple idle adjustment), the only time I really had trouble was when I snagged a wire under the dash with my shoe as I climbed in, and the car kept cutting out. That was a 2 minute, $5 fix, and had nothing to do with the car, and everything to do with my big feet. The car runs nice and cool, stops on a dime, and goes where you point it.

I could never replace it for what I could sell it for. Prosport had a ton of cash invested in this car over his years of ownership. I got a good deal on it when I bought it, and I haven't put much into it (roller rockers, front disc swap, carb spacer, maybe $1k total).

I do know this...if I sell it, I'm done. I won't buy something else. I'll spend the money as outlined above, and that will be that.

wish I could relate, but never having that opportunity to own one, I'd say keep it. it's better to have then not. [smilie=e:

NAC - your feelings for the car and rush will return. I think we all go through cycles where we lose some of the spark for the item in question. But it will return.
I know what you are saying about the effort to drive being a detractor. The 1968 road runner I had with the running gear out of a wrecked 69.5 bee was a complete blast when I was a younger punk, but I would not want that car today. While it was probably more fun and much quicker to 100 than the Coronet, it had so much cam it shouldn't have started and the 12.5s slapping in the bores weren't the best for interior conversations. The car didn't get mileage and most M1 Abrahams could coax more from a gallon of fuel. Plus it could melt your sneakers to the floor if you kept them in one position during a long drive. The clutch was the strongest that Weber offered at the time as it chewed Scheiffer diaphram clutches like popcorn. At idle, if you didn't have strong kidneys you were in trouble as the car shook something fierce - however, I had it idling intentionaly low for that very reason.
Sorry - I didn't mean to get tangential on you - but the bug will come back - for sure. And if you don't have something when it does, you will really regret it. I've been there and absolutely hated it.

I'll put in my two cents, if I can.
I think I know exactly how you feel NAC.
I've had some pretty quick and mean cars over the years. Everyday my shop is working on or building muscle cars and hot rods - some really nice stuff.
I've gotten to drive a lot of different cars - 32 Ford hot rods, big block Camaros, restored classics. You get the idea.
But what do I have as my summer cruiser?
A VW Beetle.
Why? Its a legitimate question, one I've been asked many times.

It's fun.

It's been restored, but is daily driven in the summer. Got lots of chips and scratches.
It is painfully slow - I tell people "if you're in a hurry, take public transit".
It is small inside, no more than four adults and that is only if you know them well.
But it's a blast to drive.
Starts every day with a simple push on the peddle and a twist of the key, and if it doesn't, it is dead-nuts simple to fix. Say what you want, the sound of a solid cammed flat four is pretty neat, even if it is only a VW. It has a good stereo, but truthfully I rarely have it on.
I get more thumbs up and waves from people than you could possibly imagine. Everyone, it seems, has a story to tell about a Beetle. And kids love it.
It handles well, stops well since I put front discs on it, gets decent mileage, and is just fun to drive.
I'll build my Dart someday with a 340 and four speed, and constantly tinker with it and most likely sell it when it looses its fun-appeal.
But the old VW is a keeper.
'Cause it's fun.

NAC, is it possibly that the car isn't "yours" enough? I mean, I'm not knocking, but you essentially bought that car the way it is... maybe a little NACtification would involve you more in what the car is--or can be?

Believe me, man... no one second guesses his involvement in this hobby more than someone 3½ years from the hope to even be able to appeal to get a license, but whenever I think about getting out, I remember the last time I tried, and all the stuff I blew out at bargain prices and will never get back (complete NOS Six Pack shaker base assembly, '68 SS/A 18-spline 4-speed trans, perfect B/E-body 4-speed console, on and on). If it's costing you nothing to keep it, I'd say set it aside for a spell and let the desire come back.

If livability on the street is part of the problem, I'll gladly trade you a 3.91 489 center for your 4.30s. I've been looking for 4.30s anyhow, and have a gorgeous set of '91s. I'll even do all the gear/diff swapping and setup for free... since I'm, uh, not a "charger." [smilie=e:

Dr.Jass said:
I'll even do all the gear/diff swapping and setup for free... since I'm, uh, not a "charger." [smilie=e:[/quote]

Holy chit! ROFL!!! :D :D :D... I choked on my beer [smilie=e:

KEEP THE CAR NAC. Nobody is satisfied with what they already have. But once it's gone, they miss it for the rest of their life.

Goes for Cars, Women, rugburn from sex, etc...

wow...two long...sorry posts at once! Cool!

DON'T SELL THE CAR!!!!

one more time

DON'T SELL THE CAR!!!

I did that once and found myself thinking about it all the time...constantly...until I got another one. Unless you are selling to buy a new one...

DON'T SELL THE CAR.

Look at my "long...sorry" post and you will see what I'm thinking of doing...that might be what you need too. Change the car for another. When I find myself disinterested in my own car, I know it's time to "move up" or sideways.

Not everyone needs a rip-snorting ass-tearer - have you considered staying in the old car hobby but with a sweet drop-top C-body instead of the ill-tempered hotrod?

I know if I wasn't a glutton for punishment and a reasonably capable mechanic I'd never own one of these heartaches.

Keep the car and add to your collection by buying another maybe more mellow Mopar like 68 said. Then when your [smilie=2: bored [smilie=2: with one you can drive the other [smilie=e:

I have a 79 Chevy Monza That now sits in my yard waiting for me to get back to it. It had a blown 350 with a 4 speed in it at one time. With 13" tires it was a traction less wonder so it got parked till I can afford a chassie to tub it. Then I got into my s10. I have thought about selling it but the wife won't let me.
So the plan is to redo the car when my 9 year old son is ready and make it a father son project. It has lifetime hobbiest plates on it so I don't have to register it every year. It costs me nothing to keep. [smilie=a:

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back