Soon to be alive again

wingnit

That's It! I'm
So the last time the road runner was out (15 years ago), I broke something in the 8 3/4 rear while showing off doing a burnout. Some of you will recall I had just finished a complete resto on the car.......with the only exception being the rear diff. It worked fine and so I saw no need to get into it. So into the garage she went nicely covered waiting for me to get to her again.

I had completely lost interest in the car and since we moved to our new home, my wife had been after me to get it running again.

Fast forward to earlier this week and I am beginning to work on getting her fired back up. I tore the rear apart yesterday and can’t see anything wrong that would be causing the loud howling that resulted in her going into mothballs for all this time. I’m guessing it may be axle bearings, but think an entire freshening up is a wise decision.

Decision is to replace the center section with a Dr. Diff 489 case with spool and 4:56 gears and green axle bearings. The car will only see short jaunts to local car shows, so the 4:56 gears should make for a fun time.

Brakes all need to be redone and of course hoses, belts and all fluids. I admit that I am having a good time working on her again and hope to have her back streetable by the end of June.

Good to hear from you wingy.

Have fun and keep us posted.
Will do. I ordered the new center section with 4.56 gears from Dr. Diff this morning. Should have the parts in a couple of weeks.

While I’m waiting on the differential parts, I’m going to replace all the hoses and stuff and attempt to get her started back up.

Video with sound. Fresh gas in the tank and it started right up.

Attachments

• 4F6CDD54-076B-4C63-BBDE-05A4AB421768.mp4
    21.6 MB

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back