When you start writing checks...

Dr.Jass

Pastor of Muppets
...this is what happens.

This may be the funniest ad description I've ever read. Too bad it's unintentionally so.

1973 Plymouth Scamp

018.jpg

Hunter Harris said:
Complete body off restoration totaling in excess of $120,000 by Paul's Rod and Restos in Long Island, New York

By going through the photos, here's what I've learned you should expect after spending one-eighth of a million dollars on a $15,000 six-cylinder car:
  • A cheaply-built 318 (a 340 or 360 was not in the astounding budget)
  • A gloss finish on the metal dash structure (flattening agent is expensive)
  • Muffler-shop exhaust that hangs as low off manifolds as the headers on my Valiant
  • Crooked generic tailpipes instead of factory exits and tips
  • Badly-mismatched fuel cap finish
  • A crooked dome lamp
  • An inoperative temperature gauge
  • SSBC (Seems Suspect Because Chevy) brake parts requiring R&R and bleeding to change a valve-cover gasket (instead of Paul's finding the factory parts that fit and restoring them)
  • Delaminating and splitting dash woodgrain
  • No thought given to rechroming the AC vents
  • Lumpy, wrinkled vinyl around the seat-fold button
  • Bad prep work/paint on decklid
  • "Paint it Black" undercarriage, undercoated to encourage rust-out
  • No effort toward preserving undercar brake parts (rusty calipers & drums)
  • Rust bubbles under new vinyl top (RH A-pillar)
  • A nifty jacket unrelated to the car's year or model
Mind you, this is a very nice car at the current ($8,000) bid. I'd consider it well-bought at $12K; there's just enough warts to drive it as-is and not worry about it. Much beyond that, it gets a bit hazy... I'd say $17,000 would be all the money on this one, with $20,000 a stretch. It's not a restoration (six-banger VIN, nothing worth opening the hood to see, not a single factory nod to performance) and it's a less-desireable '73. The triple green is definitely not helping, although it looks pretty good to me. I'd much prefer a black top, which is a change that could be made when that rust gets fixed.

It'll be interesting to see where it ends. Will it sell reasonably, or will the soap be passed from one bath-taker to another?

I like the color. I'd drive it, I think you're dead on on the numbers Doc. This is what happens when someone that primarily works with GM gets out of his zone.

I had a '74 with a factory 318 that looked very much like this one, though not nearly as nice, when I was 17ish. I found a 1972 Satellite Sebring and I ditched the lowly A body in favor of it.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back