Stuck bolt

dodgechargerfan

In a 55 gallon drum, floating down river, and
Staff member
I’m working on the 2014 RAM.
Trying to take the front passenger seat out.

All but one anchor bolt came loose without issue.

The back, inboard bolt turned with a breaker bar. Then I put an impact on it.
It came out about a half, maybe three quarters of an inch and then stopped.

Now it won’t even go back in.
I’ve soaked it a few times with penetrating stuffs of all kinds, starting with PB Blaster.
I’ve banged on it with a hammer to loosen any corrosion, but that seems unlikely to be the issue as it started turning without issue, initially.

I can only guess that the bolt was bent. Maybe?

I’m afraid to go too hard on it with the breaker bar for fear of actually breaking it.

Other than the heat wrench, I can’t think of anything else to try.

The heat wrench is kinda out of the question as there is no access to the bottom of the bolt from under the truck. The hole seems to land under some kind of duct.
Heating it from the top seems like a bad idea. I can’t get heat down on the shaft of the bolt without lighting the carpet on fire. I think.

So, any tips or tricks?

My only other thought is bigger impact wrench.
I’m not even sure the torque on mine.

Reminds me of trying to get the seat out of our camper van. I was afraid I would either break the bolts or get it half off and not be able to go either way from there. I ended up just leaving it alone.

Bigger Fkn Impact Wrench?

I ran into that with the k-frame bolts - battery powered impact said no, breaker bar said maybe, on second thought no, then I oiled up the big air gun and held my breath that they wouldn't break off. Put a drop or ten of 90w in it to seal off all chances for air to bypass.

You must've found the rusty part of the threads?

There are few problems in this world that can't be solved by more torque.

You must've found the rusty part of the threads?

There are few problems in this world that can't be solved by more torque.
Yeah, pretty much.
I was surprised that no amount of penetrant helped.
This was the third day over a couple of weeks that I tried to get that bolt to move.
It wasn’t until last week that it stopped turning back in.

The bigger gun zipped it right out.

I chased the threads on the bolt and the hole to clean up the rust and it went back in very easily.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back