So you want some Hemi power?

6pkrunner

I think I'm pleasurin' myself but I'm just
Check out this bad boy. This one is going into a '70 cuda.
Here's the blurb from Schubeck Racing.

http://www.schubeckracing.com/new2/i...position=54:52

Short story

- 904 cubic inches
-1120 horsepower at 5250 rpm
-1150 foot pounds at 3000 rpm

9041_G.jpg

9042_G.jpg

9043_G.jpg

9044_G.jpg

Impressive as it is, THE SHIT COSTS $85,000! No, I don't think so. They can keep it-I'd build a lower-tech wedge motor and spray the piss out of it if necessary. I'd also pocket the approximately $65,000 difference-you can buy a lot of nitrous with that much money.

Yes yes one certainly could. But when guys ask "How many cubes you running?" - you'd be the shut 'em up king.

These are one of the things that when you ask the price, you're not in the game. I'll be Leno will have one (or more) very soon. When you're bringing home 8 or 9 digits a year $85,000, or even $6,085,000 is peanuts. You think the guys buying 1971 hemicuda ragtops are struggling to make payments on them?

It is intresting though, considering those are obviously one-off heads with the dual over head cams, and block too, so thats why its costing the $85,000.

But yeah, a turboed and juiced up small block could come close to that if you tryed. I wonder what the weight of that thing is...I guess I'll do some reading.

1966D100 said:
But yeah, a turboed and juiced up small block could come close to that if you tryed.

Not just come close-it can and will exceed that. I have a buddy who was working with a 391 cubic inch ford stroker smallblock. Now, nothing in this motor was out of any production engine. But, it was all commonly available aftermarket stuff. They put a 106 mm turbo on it, a FAST system, and put it on the dyno. At 29.5 lbs of boost it made 1980-something hp. No, that's not a misprint. The problem was detuning it enough to get the car down the track. This was a single turbo, by the way. Anyone wanna bet what you could get out of a 450+ inch big block with two turbos?

You guys remember the haze? As far as I know, the car is still around. As of a few years ago, it had run a best of 8.02 at 170 mph. That was with considerally smaller turbos than what would have been optimum for max power, with only a set of max wedge stage VI heads. Those heads are nothing to sneeze at, but there are FAR FAR better flowing heads available to bolt on to the indymaxx block they were using. Speaking of which, most folks with that block build stuff like 572's. Not them-it's like a 452. They left easily over 100 cubic inches on the table with that block. No intercooler, either. If I remember right, they were using alcohol injection for charge air cooling and only running it on 100 octane low lead aircraft gasoline.

See all the places big power is being given up here? I bet that motor didn't cost a penny over $22,000 to build. It was making roughly 1250 hp AT THE WHEELS at the time, with all those corners cut.

My point isn't to denigrate the 904, but simply to point out that the engine is in no way cost effective for the power it makes.

Way Cool..!! and only 85.000...that seems reasonable...

guy's who would be interested in something like that are in the stratosphere of this hobby...there's no way someone who works for a living can even comprehend how these guys spend money...
most guys in this hobby are in over there head...they spend most of there time looking for someway to save 10 cents...
these guys Air Express parts in when there not needed for weeks...(I have customers like this)
Do you think they care if someone can make more hp cheaper...give me a break..they like to be unique .. and will spend what ever it takes to make them happy..
You should see the cars that I build that just sit after I finish them.They build them and move on to something else.

*Hands out hand* think they'll share? :wtf: Boy, what I'd do if I had just a small percentage of thier earnings............:vroom: :banana: :Fresh Meds:

That's an amazing piece, and very unique, but I'm with v8440. For the cost and cubes, that thing's kind of a pup. When you look at the numbers, it's barely making over 1 horse per cube. I guess if they're after mega streetable power, then they've got it. Otherwise, whoever buys it is doing so simply to win a pecker contest.

Hubba, hubba, hubba! The overheadcamhemithatnevercametobe circa '06. Way cool eye candy indeed! :clap:

Cool looking motor for sure....If I hit one of those huge lotteries I'd have one just for bragging rights. Otherwise it's a big unnecessary waste

Can you imagine a woman having that type of motor in her car, the looks she would get.....jealousy, pure jealousy, eye's piercing with hatred! :D

J.C. Corbett said:
That's an amazing piece, and very unique, but I'm with v8440. For the cost and cubes, that thing's kind of a pup. When you look at the numbers, it's barely making over 1 horse per cube. I guess if they're after mega streetable power, then they've got it. Otherwise, whoever buys it is doing so simply to win a pecker contest.

But when happens when the real R&D starts and the twin 20-71s or quad hairdryers show up. I guess what I was trying to show is that this raises the bar for the new basis of starting off. No 440 ever came close to one horse per cubic inch from the factory, and look at where they are as you state. When this platform becomes stable and commonplace, I would expect some nice numbers when the forced induction guys getat it - maybe?
Not that I have been following with interest, but a lot of the aftermarket companies (Ultimate Rides and the like) were bending over backwards to get their showpiece cars over 1000 reliable and streetable hp. In the last few years that is now almost the accpeted norm. And none of these cars can be bought cheaply, but they are still bought by those that can afford it.
Yes, as this one stands a blown or turbo'ed 440 will beat those numbers. When this one gets blown or turbo'ed, you're going to need a row of 440s. And if costs mattered to everyone all the time we'd all be in Yugos. These are not made or marketed for Joe Shiftwork.
And why do we start with 440s and then bore and stroke and add pressure builders - for more of the good stuff. Here's the next level to start from. If not slant 6s and 318s should fill the bill quite nicely.
Guys toss millions for powder puff hemi cudas that sit on a lawn and collect trophies and dust. Why can't someone toss way less and put a big chit eating grin on their face. And you won't see 100 of yourself at every street corner.

1150 ft lbs of tq....talk about fun...!!! I think I'm king of the world when I have 850 ft lbs...the fun I have...the smile lasts for weeks.
Now to have 1150 ft lbs...I couldn't even imagine what it would be like...you would only need one gear....High :giggedy:

Rob R said:
1150 ft lbs of tq....talk about fun...!!! I think I'm king of the world when I have 850 ft lbs...the fun I have...the smile lasts for weeks.
Now to have 1150 ft lbs...I couldn't even imagine what it would be like...you would only need one gear....High :giggedy:

What do you have 850 ft/lbs in? I've got something in that range myself, I'm just wondering how you went about getting it.

I'm with Mr. 6pk.

While the way the uber-rich waste money pretty much disgusts me, I also realise that R&D like this is what leads to innovations the rest of us can use down the road.

Am I ever gonna use an OHC hemi?

Nope.

But if we stop pushing the envelope then we will stagnate. And Red China will own the world even faster...

Last edited:
6pkrunner said:
But when happens when the real R&D starts and the twin 20-71s or quad hairdryers show up. I guess what I was trying to show is that this raises the bar for the new basis of starting off.

That's true-no arguing there. There's only one thing I can think of that would inhibit that from happening-no one could ever put the power that would make to the ground in a street car. Here's why I say that:

As an example, an indymaxx block, which is truly streetable, can take 3000 hp. That's stated by the manufacturer. With forced induction, you could actually make something reasonably close to that if you really tried. Maybe not on pump gas, but I bet you could make 2000 or better on pump gas. That right there will pretty much end it-you're not gonna hook 2000 hp in a streetable chassis. At that level, you're not far from alcohol blower motor territory. That 904 could make considerably more power than that, assuming the block is strong enough to handle it. So what would you build with that, 3000 hp on pump premium? What good is it? There is one thing you could use it for-bragging rights. And, that is the reason why one or two will probably eventually be built to that level.

Now, for race engines-yes, they could use the power in some types of chassis'. Thing is, those types are generally not about spending much more money than necessary to get bragging rights. Much cheaper engines are already in place to make that kind of power, which means as long as those engines continue to serve well, racers will continue to use them. Another thing is that the 904 owners would probably find it difficult to get rule changes to allow it in whatever class they wanted to run.

My point being, an engine that size is unlikely to revolutionize anything in terms of what people use for max-effort motors. It's simply too big to use all the power. It does make a helluva interesting science experiment though!

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back