Nobody's allowed to complain...

Dr.Jass

Pastor of Muppets
...about rust anymore.

I could've sworn I posted about my friend Kevin finding his very first car rotting in the woods last year, but I'll be damned if I can find it now.

It is (was?) a 1968 Charger, 318 column-shift automatic that he bought when he was 15 after saving his pennies earned by washing dishes in a local restaurant. Originally medium metallic green with a dark green top and interior, by the time he got it it was painted a dark green and the top was dyed black. It was a rat even then, but he was totally in love with it. He sold the car in 1990, and kept tabs on it off and on for about 12 years before losing track of it for good... until April of last year. That's when we found it.

Before I get too far, here's a few pics of the car taken around the time he bought it, 30 years ago...

Kev68_86_01.jpg

Kev68_86_02.jpg

Kev68_86_03.jpg

...to be continued....

Find it we did, in the absolute back of a nearby private yard. When I first saw the car, way off in the distance, I thought, "Hey, a green Charger. That'll take Kev down memory lane!" I had no idea how true that would be. Sure enough, a very-distinct crease in the LH quarter panel that he'd put there told him this was, in fact, the Charger. The "Green Ghost", as he called it back then. He dubbed it so because before he'd bought it, it had already been dead once. Now he's ready to breathe life into the old girl one more time... but his work's definitely cut out for him this time.

It was missing the entire front clip. The doors were gone. It didn't roll. Anything resembling horizontal sheetmetal that is not distinctly the roof was gone, either parted off the car or rusted away. The previous owner skidded it out to the loading area using an old Ford truck hood as a sled. We pulled the original 318 and 904 because we were literally afraid it would rip in half going onto the trailer. It did not, possibly because the doors Kevin bought helped keep it in one piece.

This is literally the worst car I've ever seen anyone attempt to restore, but attempt it he will. And he will succeed, because Kevin is both a patient man and one of the most bull-headed sons of bitches I've ever met.

100_0242.JPG

100_0240.JPG

100_0232.JPG

100_0233.JPG

100_0230.JPG

100_0243.JPG

100_0244.JPG

...to be continued...

I'm pretty sure that was in the thread I started about buying my New Yorker. It was definitely in the Oct-Nov range.

Would you look this happy if your project car was this bad?

Kevin, May 1st of 2015, posing with the car at the area where it would be stored for the next 15 months.

100_0247.JPG

Well, this past weekend Kevin came to retrieve the Ghost and bring it home to Atlanta. The same fear about the car tearing in half returned, but once again the old girl dragged out what mettle she's got left and held it together. Around half-past 9AM Saturday, this was the scene outside my front door, truck in literally in gear and starting the long journey back to Georgia.

68ChargerLeaves.jpg

Nearly 1,200 miles later and looking none the worse for wear from the journey--meaning she didn't break in half--she was stowed in Kevin's yard for the night...

Kev68_16_02.jpg

...to be continued...

...prior to being hauled to her new digs... the f__kin' AMD showroom?! I shit thee not. It's literally on display at AMD's worldwide headquarters, perhaps as a way to tell customers, "Hey, we're just like you guys, although possibly a littel crazier."

AMD_Kev68.jpg

Kevin, late of Year One as of March, took up new employment Auto Metal Direct as an alternative. Believe it or don't, considering the scope of this project, the employee discount wasn't a factor. However, it will obviously be an enormous boon to him in light of this situation.

Now, lest you think he's completely out of his mind, there's a well-thought-out plan of attack. Obviously, this car needs to be on a body jig and is beyond the scope of a home restoration. A '70 Coronet is sacrificing its life and a good part of its structure to shore up the bottom end of this old girl. A very high-end restoration shop (high-end enough that they're not available to the public) is tackling all the sheetmetal replacement as almost a pet project, because the story of this car both fascinated and touched them... but yes, he is paying them. The warm feelies were only enough to get it in the door, not waive their shop fees. They are, however, working with him somewhat on the payment schedule. Of course, they're gonna have the car for the next few years, so...

Kevin is fully aware that he'll have way over $10K into the body alone by the time it's in primer. He'll still have to do the engine, trans, axle, wiring, interior, etc. The engine, for the record, will be the 383 out of the '71 Charger 500 he had during the same time he originally owned the Ghost. He's going back to the green gut, dark-green paint (factory metallic this time) and the black vinyl top. He's even leaving the column shifter, and replacing the long-gone buddy seat.

The plan is to drive the car to his daughter's high-school graduation. She turned 10 last week.

Thanks for linking that in, ZincDink. I knew I'd typed it out somewhere but after searching for an hour I quit. I reasoned, correctly thank God, that someone would remember where I put it.

I changed the link in the quote directly to the whole story about finding it.

Last edited:
Thanks for linking that in, ZincDink. I changed the link in the quote to the next page, though, since the whole story about finding it is on Page 4.

No problem Jazzhole, good catch.. I saw the first part of the thread, and copied it without reading further.

I remember reading your posts about this AND having Kevin re-tell the story and show the pics on his phone last fall. The mind blowing part is actually running across it by accident all those years later.

I would have loved to see the look on those southern boys faces the first time the saw the extent of Michigan rust. The amount of rot is mind blowing! Even for those of us who see and deal with it daily here in the U.P.

That's even worse than the '70 v code challenger I bought and sold in '06. That car had some truly impressive rust, but overall, it wasn't as bad as this one.

The Challenger that just went on its merry way was close to cherry compared to that pile of rust. Awesome story though!

What's the story on the big wrinkle in the transmission tunnel?

On some type of stable jig, that rebuild job wouldn't really be all that difficult. Time consuming yes, and more expensive than just a plain ol' resto, but step by step, relatively simple for someone who understands chassis structure and isn't afraid to get a few cuts and slivers...

'Course, we'll need to see progress pics, eh?

I'm not sure about that wrinkle, but I suppose it's due to the overall collapse of the car. As far as we know, its only accident was the damage to the rear quarter that Kevin did back in '87 or '88, which is how he immediately knew this was his car. His brakes failed backing out of the local vocational center and he hit another student's pickup truck.

The guys reviving the body are very well versed in this stuff. They've seen and restored worse, but of course those cars were worth six or seven figures when completed. This car, on the other hand, probably won't be worth his ultimate investment to anyone but him. In his eyes it's priceless, and I honestly can't argue with him there. If I found my '73 Challenger I'd be doing the same thing. Regardless, they have the proper jigs to make sure it's more solid, straight and true than it was off the assembly line. Kevin's motto here is: "If it can be built, it can be rebuilt." What's ironic is that Kevin has the education and talent to do it himself, having an "associate" degree (two year) in automotive body repair. He just doesn't have the facilities, the jigs, or the time... and by his own admission, definitely not the patience.

One positive (beyond where he works) is that he's been in the restoration parts business for 20 years. He's got contacts and friends all over the place. One extremely lucky score for him came late last year, when he was able to grab most of a grille/headlamp door setup, a '68-only cluster with the clock/tach combo, a solid hood, and a complete factory Bendix 4-piston brake setup, all for something like $600. I'm setting up the cluster for him, including sending it out for a professional cosmetic restoration. Luckily for me, there's obviously no rush on it. :D

I honestly don't know the pace of the restoration other than "slow" or how often he'll be allowed into the skunkworks to check on it, but as I get progress pictures I'll surely post them.

The car will deviate from original essentially only in these areas:

• The engine department will have a 383HP. Knowing Kev, it will look mostly factory, though. He might consider EFI but I kind of doubt it.
  • The paint scheme, since the original medium green is awful, made worse by the OE dark green vinyl top. The plan here, I believe is an original '68 dark green (code G) with a black vinyl roof. No tail stripe or other such silliness. See below.
  • The interior, other than the tach and added AC, will be 100% stock. Dark green with the light green pleat inserts, column-shift auto, and center fold-down armrest/buddy seat. Kind of like me, he's grown fond of column shifters.
All of the above an interesting study on how times change. When he was 16, I'm sure the hopes/plans included a floor shift if not 4-speed, a much-more idiotic engine build (it'll be "breathed on" but daily-driver friendly), and a complete recoloring. AC was way too ugly to consider, and we could just roll down the windows. Now he lives in Hotlanta, hence the AC, and would rather drive and enjoy the car largely as he remembers it.

Other than the R/T emblems, this is pretty close to where he's going to land:

charger1968racinggreen.jpg

ive seen and actualy like the 2tone green gut..while still hating green gut cars..it is the exception to that rule

I bet you thought you'd never hear about this again. WRONG!!

This car's been quite the project, and I've received updates weekly. Kev's being an AMD employee seemed to be a godsend on this car. For a long time, it was and to some extent that remains. When he started hanging exterior metal, though, he wasn't as happy as he thought he should be. Mind you, reproduction sheetmetal is a wonderful thing--to which he readily admits and agrees--but clamping here and screwing there for test-fitting revealed the AMD panels were going to take a lot of work. Pie cuts, reliefs, and reshaping were all on the menu. He can do those things, but felt this car warranted better. If you need a recap as to why, spool back up to the top and start reading it over. Also, look at the photos again for a refresher. You'll need it.

He then started down the merry trail to finding NOS sheetmetal. For a '68 Charger. To me it seemed financial suicide but to him it was just necessary. He found a lot of what he needed. During his 2021 visit, he spent a lot of time on the phone making arrangements to buy $7,800 worth of NOS Charger stuff from one guy, much of it for a '69. The required changes to that sheetmetal was deemed easier than making the AMD stuff fit to his standards. He also discovered, or had it reaffirmed, that not all NOS is actually old stock. Some of it was factory-floor rejected. One quarter panel was not stamped correctly at the door jamb. The tail panel wasn't punched for the "arrowhead" emblem, though it was for the Charger emblem. He could work with it, though.

Last year, fate stepped in again and he found a fella that dragged a '69 R/T out of a barn not far from Kev's hometown of Ironwood, MI (not far from here; 1,200 miles from him now). That car came with a slew of truly-NOS sheetmetal. It all had Chrysler Parts Depot shipping labels to Kev's "hometown" Dodge dealer--no factory cast-offs in the pile. And, there was more of it there. A mad dash to Wisconsin and $9,700 later, and it was his.

Not including other pieces of NOS metal he'd found, he was now nearing $18K invested with a lot of duplicate parts. It sounds like a recipe for divorce, and it may have been had he not ditched the last wife years ago. Kev really doesn't have that kind of coin to carelessly toss around, but this car is that important to him. Ultimately, he sold all the AMD stuff he didn't need, along with any of the first load of NOS he deemed unnecessary, and did rather well. All the AMD stuff was on backorder at the time so people were paying more than retail to get it. I don't recall the exact number, but he's got less than five grand into the whole sheet-bang--less than those parts would cost from AMD.

All of that was necessary to outline the level of obsession he's got with the car. I found him an NOS Tic-Toc-Tach, and he didn't bat an eye at $850--in fact, he said it was a good price. He's found the nicest set of original door panels I've ever seen for a 2nd-generation Charger, in the correct green no less. The emblems and marker lights? They're all NOS along with several pieces of chrome trim (so far).

"Great, Doc...he's got all these parts. It probably looks like a Charger exploded across his property." Well, no, actually. Kev was to spend yesterday and today taking the car back apart after final test-fitting and pinning everything to go right back where it was. This week, he has a mobile laser blasting service coming to completely de-rust anything suspect. Once that's done, he'll start final prep for permanent reassembly. Once that's done, he can put it on the hoist so laserman can come back and do the complete underside. "The price is worth it for the undercoating alone," Kev told me. I can't disagree with that statement.

So we come to the photos. Yes, it's a mostly-assembled 1968 Charger with a whole lot of '70 Coronet sedan DNA and '69 Charger sheetmetal. Yes, those are the same 1969 doors from the original recovery photos, now converted to 1968 specifications. That's not what's important. What matters most is that Kevin did all of this himself, right where the car currently sits. No frame jig, no smoke and mirrors. One dude working alone in his garage. The laser guy is literally the first outside help he's had. Now go back to those original photos like I suggested and fully re-absorb his starting point.

IMG_6609.JPG

IMG_6610.JPG

IMG_6605.JPG

IMG_6606.JPG

@restoman , what do you think? I am definitely impressed... but much like the encouragement I got whilst working on my garbage, I told him all along he was capable of this. More importantly, he saved about $15,000 by not going the original route (an AMD certified installation center) and can truly say he built it himself.

The importance here is in the details. Look at the panel gaps and alignment. He's spent the better part of a month on just that, and it rivals that of a new car in terms of consistency (within the limitations of 1968 sheetmetal).
The deck filler panel is a sore spot; the AMD part is made too short between glass and decklid, while being misshapen on the passenger's side front corner. He has repaired that since the photos were taken, which was no mean feat. The AMD roof is a bit wonky atop the passenger's A-pillar, which was also a problem area on my Challenger's roof. I think he mentioned that would be more-easily worked once it's a welded assembly. He also noticed the misalignment of the driver's fender and hood, which was a quick fix--working somewhere else on the car had popped it out of place and it needed a minor readjustment.

IMG_6615.JPG

IMG_6614.JPG

IMG_6612.JPG

IMG_6613.JPG

IMG_6604.JPG

IMG_6603.JPG

I have dozens of photos of the progress on this car from the very start, but never thought to post 'em until earlier this week. I don't know if the site will notify anyone of these new posts, but I hope it does. It also reminds me that I miss having @TheIronSausage around here. If anyone knows how to get in touch with him, tell him I said hello.

Anyhow, your argument for "too far gone" has thus been rendered invalid. Thanks for playing, we've got some lovely parting gifts for you.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back