Gord Downie and The Hip's Summer Tour

dodgechargerfan

In a 55 gallon drum, floating down river, and
Staff member
Tickets go on sale today via pre-sale.

This could be their last tour as Gord has been diagnosed with brain cancer.
It's making lots of news here and the tributes are coming from many pool and places.

My wife and I helped create this one (but we accept no credit - it was a last minute "can you record this?")

My wife held the singer's iPhone. I recorded audio on my pocket studio and I did some video with my lens camera. I think this is my audio and the iPhone video edited together. Not great, but as good as can be done with the sources.

Anyway, the band members are all friends of ours. These are the guys that let me get up on stage with them once in a while.

Rob, the singer, is fighting a different type of cancer and had surgery a few weeks ago. So far, all looks good, but it's never really over. You have to keep checking.

https://youtu.be/hq2SGBrOHSE

As for Gord, I've read that the type of brain cancer he has doesn't necessarily affect cognitive function, at least not directly. However, if the tumour grows, it can restrict blood flow to the cells that do handle cognitive function. So, it's possible that he can continue to function normally, and tour, and create new music.

That's awesome!
Those fellas are a pretty good band - the lead guitarist sure doesn't look the part!
Great cover of an awesome tune from one of the world's best bands... doesn't get much better than that. :)

The Hip play London on the 5th (I think) but i imagine the tickets will go in record time. They always do.
They played Bayfest here around '03-'04 but i couldn't make it. Always regretted that.

That's awesome!
Those fellas are a pretty good band - the lead guitarist sure doesn't look the part!
Great cover of an awesome tune from one of the world's best bands... doesn't get much better than that. :)

The Hip play London on the 5th (I think) but i imagine the tickets will go in record time. They always do.
They played Bayfest here around '03-'04 but i couldn't make it. Always regretted that.

I should have recorded more. They did two more Hip songs right after that.
I did record audio of their third set, but I have to export it out.

They do a really good job on just about every song they do. They work to sound as much like the original as they can within their setup. They have to do their own arrangements for some stuff because they don't have any keyboards in the band. They do it though, and well. There are really only two songs in their extensive set list that I don't really like - even then, I like their version better than the originals.
Speaking of originals, they do a couple of their own and each of the guys except the singer all have years of experience in bands that have released albums.

I've seen The Hip twice. Great band to hear live.
I'd like to see them this year but I don't think it's in the cards. The pre-sale started this morning and they've already added dates to a few cities because they sold out right away. And I need to spend money on other things. I'll keep an eye on the radio contests though.

August 8th, they play Budweiser Gardens in London. The way reports of presale tickets are going, there won't be any available on June 3rd for regular purchase... No money this time around anyway. :(

Seems like there is something fishy going on with stickitbastards.
Tickets showed up on the secondary market seconds after being available.
More so than usual. And remember, today's tickets are supposed to be fan club presage tickets.

http://ajournalofmusicalthings.com/something-really-stinks-presale-tragically-hip-tour/

One suggestion sounds like a great idea: generate a unique promo code for each fan club member. That way it can be certain that it's not a bot a meeting the system with the single general promo code.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...ime-in-their-hometown-for-up-to-5999-a-ticket

Someone I know who possesses some inside knowledge of Live Nation and Ticketmaster has suggested stub-hub may have been putting tickets on their site before they actually had them. The tail end of this article makes a similar statement.

I have only ever once had real issues getting tickets for a show I wanted to see via normal channels. And yes sometimes those tickets have been pricey, but I've never used a scalper - stub hub or otherwise.

It's really too bad that this BS surrounding tickets is drawing attention away from the illness that is going to take Gord Downie's life at far too young an age. It's a tragedy for him and anyone else who faces similar circumstances. I have lost some pretty good friends to cancer recently....and I'm not convinced that the money we spend finding solutions is necessarily being spent the right way.

As far as the band is concerned, I was never a Hip fan. Matter of fact, I dislike most of their music immensely. There are plenty of other Canadian acts from the same era who I certainly feel were more worthy of the stature they gained and the accolades heaped upon them. And I never cared for Downie's onstage rants where he forced his political viewpoints on audiences who paid money to see him sing & play. been a long time since I have been present at one of their shows, so maybe that stuff has mellowed a bit...

At any rate, I don't view the loss of the band itself as being that big a deal. But the loss of a life as young as his to disease is a very, very big deal - and hopefully his celebrity status will get more people asking why that is still happening so frequently in an era where technology allows us to carry more computing power in our pocket phones than all of NASA possessed when they were putting astronauts on the moon.

Anyways... nice tribute Mr. Chargerfan.... band sounds pretty damn good.

Can't access the article... I've reached my limit of 10 free reads and I don't feel like subscribing.

"Paste it Daddy. Please."

Here 'tis. Not sure I agree with the sentiment 100%, but it is certainly worth consideration in the future.

Kevin Libin: How The Tragically Hip could have foiled the scalpers—but didn’t

Is it tactless to wonder how The Tragically Hip ticketing fiasco would have played out if frontman Gord Downie had waited until after seats for the band’s upcoming tour had sold before revealing he had terminal brain cancer? The band presumably had its reasons for rolling out the tragic news the way it did, although band members and management have known about Downie’s condition for months. They pre-arranged an exclusive about the diagnosis with the CBC a day before announcing dates for the band’s Man Machine Poem tour, its last ever, and a week before releasing a small batch of tickets. Those early tickets were supposed to be available only to members of certain clubs — members of the Hip’s fan club, and American Express cardholders. Maybe the band and its managers hoped this would ensure the first tickets would go to only diehard Hip lovers and, er, business travellers. Well, they could hardly have made a bigger hash of it.

Whatever the odds were of a true-blue Hip fan getting into a show before the cancer news broke, they can only have been decimated. The Hip is a terrific and legendary Canadian band, but it’s no hit factory. Its last chart-topper was a decade ago. Tickets for the latest tour might have sold briskly even if no one knew of Downie’s illness. But once that news broke, demand went through the roof. Anyone with a touch of nostalgia for youthful days rocking out, beer in hand, to “Fifty Mission Cap” or wearing out a Hip CD on a summer roadtrip — i.e., an entire generation of Canadians — naturally felt that pang to see the band one last time, even if they’d never planned to before. Diehards were suddenly competing with a nation of lapsed but sentimental fans and, of course, the scalpers who saw them coming a mile away.

Related

What followed was disaster. No one knows how many tickets were made available for pre-sale, but it can’t have been a lot, and a great deal (again, no one knows the number) were snapped up by scalpers using automated ticket-buying “bots,” who immediately jacked up the price on resale sites. Fan and media outrage ensued. But while it may be indelicate to say so, had the Hip and its managers really wanted only their most devoted fans to get seats at affordable prices, it could only have been more effective to hold back revealing Downie’s situation for a week or two.
The scalpers have been taking all the blame, naturally, and politicians keep threatening to finally think of some way to stop them. But scalpers are just a symptom of a screwed-up system. We all know tickets are scarce and typically priced well below what the market will bear, leaving room for anyone who can get one to flip it for a profit. But even that simple supply-and-demand lesson masks the absurdity of the concert business, where everyone who stands between the band and the audience is in on a scheme to extract more money out of a ticket than the price printed on it.

In his edifying investigation into ticket resellers in New York earlier this year, state Attorney General Eric Shneiderman complained that while “in many areas of the economy the arrival of the Internet and online sales has yielded lower prices and greater transparency, event ticketing is the great exception.” It’s not hard to see why. While the Internet has made the dynamics of most transactions more transparent, the world of concert tickets is murkier than ever. Former Ticketmaster CEO Nathan Hubbard describes the process “like a mysteriously devastating airplane farter: tickets leak out little bits at a time, nobody can figure out where they’re coming from, and the whole thing reeks.”
Shneiderman’s investigation found that on average less than half the tickets for a concert are made available to the public. About a third go to pre-sales (fan clubs, credit card members, etc.). But a huge chunk also goes to “holds” — tickets reserved for the “artists, venues, agents, marketing departments, sponsors, promoters and executives.” No one’s saying what the breakdown was for the Man Machine Poem tour, but it’s a poorly kept secret that elsewhere in the business the managers, the venue operators, the industry insiders and even the band itself will take “hold” tickets and flip them for resale. In the worst cases, Shneiderman found just 15 per cent of tickets were made available to public buyers.

An investigation found less than half the tickets are sold to the public

In the Hip’s case, something certainly stinks. “Scalped” tickets at London, Ont.’s Budweiser Centre soared from $167 after the pre-sale but before general tickets went on sale, to $332 for nearly the identical spot afterward. At Winnipeg’s MTS Centre, a nearly identical floor seat went from $184 to $358. And at Edmonton’s Rexall Centre, a lower-level seat across from the stage went from $261 to $396. Adding supply should have brought the price down. But no one knows how much supply was actually added. Were resellers expecting more, only to find, to their delight, that supply would be even tighter than anticipated?

Hate those scalpers all you want, but the power to fix this lies entirely with the bands and their managers. When LCD Soundsystem announced its “last-ever” show in New York in 2011, ticket sites were cleaned out in seconds and scalped seats demanded thousands of dollars. Lead singer James Murphy fought back, implored fans not to pay so much, and instead added more shows and released a flood of more tickets from “holds” into the public. LCD Soundsystem has (blessedly) since regrouped and will perform again. That, sadly, appears not to be an option for the Hip. But assuming they, too, wanted to hurt resellers, who says they couldn’t add a few free, corporately sponsored concerts in city parks? The scalpers couldn’t do anything to stop them. But the promoters, agents, managers, marketers, venues and other insiders quietly milking the current system certainly might try.

Thanks for posting.

Shitty deal all around. I'm one of the one who would love to see them live and the news of Downie's illness only reinforces that notion. But, there is no way I can afford to shell out $300-$500 per ticket. I thought the prices would go through the roof, so I didn't even try to get any.

Pinning some of the blame on the band does have some merit, no matter what taste that leaves in your mouth.

I don't think there is any blame as such to be laid on the band, as really they may be as much victims as their disappointed fans are. I think the point the author is making, and that I agree with is that the way things stand right now, the only people with any power to do anything about it are the artists and more importantly their management.

Other artists have creatively thwarted scalpers in the past couple years, I gotta think the Tragically Hip has enough clout in the Canadian scene to do so if they wanted to. The big question is would their management be on board?

This was posted on my local radio station's FB page...

Attachments

• hip tic.jpg
    hip tic.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 15
Yup.... Often touring was a money losing proposal, or a best showed a modest profit. Artist toured behind their latest album to generate sales.

Nowadays, touring and the associated merch sales are the only source of income. That pushes ticket prices up.... as do bigger venues requiring bigger production and larger, more capable & better paid crews....all to draw more asses for the seats.

I remember many of us in the business saying this was going to happen back when the illegal downloading thing first started to pick up steam. People called us nuts... and yet here we are.....

We had a lot of big name bands play at the Station, and I think it only jams in 500 people or so.
Back then, it was a rockin' place. :)

Far too small now, likely for the reasons you mention. 'Fact is, hardly anyone stops here anymore... :(

When I was on the road, we played tons of 500 - 1000 seat venues. I loved the hell out of it.

Those venues still exist, but I don't think they see the same calibre of talent they used to.... Unless maybe they are up and comers, but these days, up and comers have nowhere to go. Acts from 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago are selling out stadiums and arenas based on huge back catalogues of songs. Precious few new artists get that opportunity anymore.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back