• Links to external websites may be affiliate links that generate revenue. Clicking the links do not add any cost to your transcations, if you choose to purchase.

Garage clean out sale!

I guess what I should have said was longer rods for the deck height and stroke of the 360.
The 360 does have a taller deck height does it not?

It does not. The only difference in the 360 is the bottom of the block, with larger main saddles since the crank has larger main journals than the 273/318/340. If it had a taller block height, the intake wouldn't interchange with other LA engines.

273 and early (pre-'71) 318 rods won't last in a high-horsepower application. They're too small and spindly, which is why the 340 had the bigger rods from Day One. That was the whole reason they went to the later rods across the board--rather than have two different forgings they just put the 340 rods in everything (although the 273 never got 'em). For economic reasons, they were not bushed for floating pins in the 318 and 360 applications. I'm sure they'd last in a stock 340, but Chrysler knew that engine was going to be raced, built up, etc. The other problem with the early rods is it completely screws up the balance of a heavy-rod engine. You'd have to add mallory metal to the crank to make up for the lack of connecting-rod weight.

Ok well i didnt think the 360 intakes did interchange. I guess I was wrong across the board. Now that I'm clear on the deck height it all makes sence. I did know the "small" end of the rods was the same and could be bored to make floaters.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back