a dumb idea?....freeway musing

69.5CUDA

Blah Blah Blah
so for some time ive been pondering the whole butterfly exhaust systems of alot of the more expensive rigs, and honestly the kits out there seem to suck
while stuck behind a BMW with that glaring butterfly in my face for 50 miles or so...

i had a brain fart..a butterfly valve is the same regardless of where it comes from and functions the same too

so my brain kicks out...yeah and a fly by wire throttlebody is the same damn thing....well..yeah it is isnt it, but how would you go about triggering it..i mean the ECU handles all the movement..but..at the end of the day thats just a throttle pot or "volume" knob posing as a gas pedal....

yeah and it would be really cool to have an exhaust volume knob!

so how would one go about doing this?

Think of a "drive-by-wire" system as being a high tech sewing machine with an ECM controlling current flow. The first thing I'd do is find out the ECM-to-throttle body voltage/ amp range. Power could easily be controlled by using a household light dimmer.

Would a throttle body assembly be able to handle the exhaust temps?
This would be my concern as well.

However, if a guy were to use a standard cable-type throttle body and a linear actuator, the actuator wouldn't be part of the body itself and therefore not exposed to high temperature.

seee thats all usefull and viable
in my mind the "high end" cars that have such systems have done it "right" by putting the valves neer the end of the exhaust either outright bypassing the final muffler or silencer box, thus removing alot of heat issues with the valving, and i would assume a good bit of carbon as well?
tho i feel the "tip" mounted units to just be blatantly stupid on dual exhaust tips as one blocked off in your face like that is dumb as hell
as far as "heat" goes i would assume a direct header unit would probably fail in short order....i wonder how far away from the engine you would idealy need to be for it ie a "minimum safe distance" kind of thing

My GTI has a "Soundaktor", or a noise maker that vibrates at the cowl to make the engine sound racier. About the first thing I did was hunt that down and turn it off.

The thing I like about the German language is a lot of times it seems like they took two or more English words, spelled them funny, and jammed them together to make a new German word.

FWIW the soundaktor is funny but the little car will flat out scoot. I drug a hemi charger over OH 139 one day. He'd catch up on the straights but I'd run away and hide on the twisties.

Last edited:
You could always just resort to using the "exhaust" from Big Gay Al's Big Gay Charger.
oh fuck no
the sole idea is being able to "control" the noise not generate it....
the yaris is a solid example..i could free up a handfull of ponys with the full stainless exhaust i have sitting here but...it would be far too noisy at 3am delivering, so being able to drop into "hush" mode would be required, but to be able to open it up more on the back roads etc would be fun but at the same time being able to control noise and drone when your stuck blasting the freeway for 5 hours

the same sole concept is part of the lloyd exhaust and im using the yairs as a "test bed" in the real world being simple and alot of free space to test and work on...the lloyd i intend to have 3 volumes, full hush thru the ferarri exhaust..whatever that ends up sounding like, bypass of said exhaust, and "full open" a bypass of everything dumping just past the front wheels...which would be some 3ft after the header since im going up then down....in the end requireing 2 sets of valves to do it

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back