You've never seen one of these...

beeper*71

This space for rent
Took an annual ride to a vintage bike rally today, always several interesting machines in attendance.

This one blew me away. Yes, that's a Ford flathead V/8!

DSCN0975.jpg

No, but Stretch and I have both seen a couple with Lincoln Zephyr V12s in them at Iola. :dance:

This was a cool idea, but it should have big chrome drum brakes (you don't need any more than that with a flathead anyhow) and chrome, real-spoked wheels. The mismatched mags and discs, to me, just don't work with the whole flathead idea. Other than those details, he pretty-much nailed it.

That things gotta weigh half a ton, I'll take the disc brakes thank you.

Notice the lack of a clutch lever, that's a home built automatic.

Nice, a lot of thinking went into that.
Betcha his knees get a little warm on an extended trip. :)

I was eyeballing that....and the right-side shaft system. It has a strong resemblance to the Honda systems, but they are all left-side. :huh:

Nope, Honda had right side shaft also. This CB1000 is shaft drive, on the right side. Another interesting bike at the rally as it has an air bag suspension hidden under the aluminum side panel, note the lack of a kickstand.

DSCN0977.jpg

... Honda had right side shaft also. This CB1000 is shaft drive, on the right side.

Ahhh, I'd forgotten about the CX500/650 to CB900/1000 usage. The CB900's were brought out to use up leftover parts from the CX drivelines and CB750 crankcases. Because the CX was right-drive and the CB's were left-side chain they installed a jackshaft/gearbox to tranfer it to the other side. One engineer thought of the jackshaft and another said, "Why don't we make it also a gearbox and make it a dual-range" Hence you have the CB900/1000's with 10 speeds.

The CX's were a good seller but the CB900/1000's didn't go over as well. The dual-range didn't show any advantages, performance was sub-par. The extra weight and length made for ill handling and the bike in general was overshadowed in '82 with the introduction of the V4's

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back