Where do you draw the line?

Jamies440

Divorced Bird
Hey all,

I was out tinkering around today and I was looking at my '91 D-150 LE I bought earlier this year for $300. Of course it was wrecked in the drivers side and that bent the frame. Then I looked it over more. The pass. fender is also dented some, not from the wreck, but from something else. Both doors are also caved in. The bed isnt perfect but its damn nice. The interior is also damn nice

The Truck also is an LE and is equipped with a 318-TBI and a A-500OD. The drivetrain is fine, I drove it, it shifts great and while it needs a tune-up, it runs pretty well.

BUT, where does one draw the line at fixing it. I know its gonna cost me $300-$500 to straighten the frame. I've got one fender but then the other needs replaced and the core support needs straightened. Then both doors need replaced, and in order for a repaint, the bed needs some work as well.

I was thinking of putting the interior in my '85 (that one isnt perfect either but the frame isnt bent and it looks better from 20 feet. as well as the drivetrain and wiring, etc. Basically putting a '91 interior and drivetrain into an '85 truck. Its either that or the '78 thats currently beside the '91! As it stands I've got a 360-4v for the '85

Or, I can fix the '91 and sell one off when I get it going.

WWYD?

If you can fix the '91 for less then a grand I would do it.

A truck like that out here is worth about $3000.

there was a point at wich i could answer this......but not any more

imo normaly a truck is a truck and if the frame is toast its done....

now on a "odd" or a ramcharger/trailduster sometimes its best to keep going..to give an example....my ramcharger is well not, the gas tank, half top, and rad are the only parts left of the truck i got back in 94?....yeah ive pieced her back to gether..frame was broke so i found a 74, floors and quarters gone so i replaced the body with a rust free one, 1 fender from a 72 1 fender from a 75 hood from a 78 body is "unknown" was NOT factory stamped and the sticker is blank....i pretty much know what every part on the truck came off of but other than those 3 things i listed NONE of it is the same truck not even the bolts, lines, glass or wireing

How many trucks do you have laying around?

I would take the fuelie motor and put it in the best body you have, stick the interior in that truck, and put a Maaco paint job on it. Scrounge up the rest of the good parts and see what's left. Then I would put another truck together, a solid work truck to either keep around to beat on, or to sell. Then I would gather the rest of the mangled crap throw it on a trailer and haul it down to the crusher. Take the good parts you have left and either store them away for future use, or sell them...

BTW in the pics of your Dart there's a 71 or 2 Charger, what's the deal with that?

agreed take the best parts even frame and build 1 good truck and with whatevers left if ya can build a work truck

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back