Truck with plow + grenaded spider gears = Pee in pants

not a charger

Let that be a lesson to you. Don't let your rear spider gears fail when driving at 50 mph in your truck that still has the plow blade on because you're too lazy to take it off and you know it is going to snow at least 12 more times before May because it's been a horrible winter, because when they do, you'll do a 360 on the highway, and even if through sheer luck and the grace of God you manage to not hit another car, a tree, a sign, a fence, or flip over in the ditch, you will still likely wet your pants. Or so I've heard.

That happened to a friend of mine...I sold him a 9 1/4 with a locker & he took it apart just to look it over. Found twists on the axleshafts, but still put it in [smilie=e:
It exploded while he was driving home in a snowstorm...said he managed to miss a few cars during his 180.
I also blew up an 8 1/4 in one of my Diplomats a few years ago....felt like I ran over a log....scared the hell outta me!

i was watching mythbusters and they were doing a test to see if driveshaft failure could flip a car. they dug a pot hole and dropped the driveshaft into the hole. myth was busted but there are so many other variables that i think its could still be possible.

Mind ya the whole driveshaft and rear axle were in the trunk.

dodgedifferent2 said:
i was watching mythbusters and they were doing a test to see if driveshaft failure could flip a car. they dug a pot hole and dropped the driveshaft into the hole. myth was busted but there are so many other variables that i think its could still be possible.

It is absolutely possible. I was fallowing a ranger 4x4 with a 4 inch lift in it about ten years ago. We were going about 25 to 30 mph when the front of the rear shaft let loose and dug in to the road. That truck was shiny side down in the front yard of the local flower shop so fast. It was over before I even realized what had happened. The kid in the truck was more shocked than I was.

I think the fact that the truck had a lift kit in it and we were going rather slowly had a lot to do with it. I guess the shaft was just the right length for physics to rear its ugly head.

And if it is not possible why do most race car organizations require driveshaft loops? I guess it’s kinda like the “Do not eat” on the pack of silicone in every piece of audio equipment you buy. Someone must have bought a stereo and saw the silicone packet and said “Cool! Candy!" And ate the $hit or it wouldn’t be there.

dodgedifferent2 said:

it is definitely possible
42270c210c37a_t&r_automotive[1].jpg

From an e-mail:
I wasn't there that fateful day at Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ in June of 1970 (1971?) but was told by a longtime racer (who I showed this picture to) that was that the front universal joint or driveshaft yoke broke in the lights on top end, which caused the driveshaft to dig into the asphalt, causing the back end of the car to rise way up in the air off the track surface, with the car trying its best to imitate an Olympic pole vaulting contestant. The car went end over end at least once then barrel rolled before coming to a stop in the soft dirt on top end.

And yes, that's a real RO car, nobody was cloning them back when that accident happened.

Stretch said:
dodgedifferent2 said:
And if it is not possible why do most race car organizations require driveshaft loops?

See quote above about where the shaft ended up on Mythbusters. Even if it doesn't flip the car it could punch the gas tank or fuel cell and make car go boom.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back