Today's progress...

Abodyaddict

Didn't have a whole of time, so I only got to place the frenched antennae and try it..
4308mastup.jpg

4308frenchedhole2.jpg

4308powerantennae.jpg

I know, my welding sucks. But I'm still learning.....
It is nice to see something else done on it, though...

Progress is progress. [smilie=e:
As for weldin,practice makes perfect....[size=2]besides,the grinder is your friend. [smilie=w: [/size]

Gonna be one trick A-bod when it's done! [smilie=c:

What kinda welder are you using? Looks like stick but hard to tell. But yes the grinder is a good freind to have. But welds are looking good, best thing I found is to keep your self in pratice even if you not workng on anything that needs it, just weld anything together once in a while. Then paint it and call it art lol.

Welder is a 110 Campbell Hausfeild wirefeed that dims the kitchen lights everytime I use it! Hard to get used to wire speed when the only heat settings I have are HI/LO. I did our coffee table with a stick welder, it came out better
2916coffee_table-med.jpg

Good progress. Atleast you are trying with the welding, I need to learn but haven't tried yet.

Yes, I painted the table, also. A drainage tube will also be added to the bottom side of the tube as well as the factory drain for the antennae itself.
Welding is a lot of fun, but I don't want to attempt it for hte subframe connectors, roll cage, or relocation kit. I will do more when I shave the cowl vents and get rid of the stock trunks springs for struts. I may also do the wheels tubs (Summit 36") myself. Right now, I'm concentrating on getting my '75 Duster home and starting the EFI 328 for it...

Is that antenna going to be in the way of your jack? Do you care? :)

Good work with that little 110 welder. I've got one here (generic China-tool model, prolly same as C-H), and it just wants to blow holes in sheet metal. Got any tips on what I'm doing wrong?

Mine still likes to blow holes , too. I just keep it on LO heat and keep my wire speed to about .75. If I do get small holes, Duraglass it...
I'm not woried about a jack as it wouldn't fit witht he Summit wheel tubs that still need to go in... [smilie=e:

Good work, even with the lincoln mig w/ gas on lowest settings sheet metal is tough, new metal no prob, get a little thin & the holes be a poppin! Rich.

I use a lincoln MIG with out the gas set up. From my experience, its best not to stay in one working area to long. Meaning as soon as you see it getting red hot and looks likes its gonna melt through stop and start in another area or just wait a few secs.
I know you said you only have a low setting, what you could try to do is run a long extension cord. But 1st you need to know how many AMPS. It draws, and if you can get away with it use only a 16 gage wire extension cord(like 50ft or even 100), this way your pulling less juice and will get less heat out of her. I’ve done this before on the MIG (w/out gas). But it only draws 15amps so I can get away with it.

I've been looking around to try to fins a heavy enough (commercial grade ) dimmer switch that I might add in after the power switch so I can turn down the heat without affecting wire speed. If I use an extension, it seems to draw the rest of the house down worse. I've been trying to work with hand speed as well as wire speed....
Still learning, but still have a few projects besides the Duster to learn on ( like the steering column lamp, dashboard entertainment center, intake valve and exhaust pipe coat rack, etc...)

Just as a point of interest, I was welding yesterday with my Mig pack 10, using no gas... The welds were excellent, not splatter, nothing. then I ran outta wire, so I changed over to .035 "gasless" wire. What a mess! Burnt through Everything, generally poked holes everywhere, on the lowest setting. It might be worth a shot slapping on a roll of .025 Mig wire....just try it. :)

You can use plane old co2 as the gas on your welder if you have a gas kit. It works just as good as the 75/25 shielding gas but only costs about $8.00. If you use the gas you will get much less smoke because you won’t be burning off the acid flux core of the shielded wire.

[smilie=e: And you can use it to pressurize your beer keg too. [smilie=e:

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back