The Oldsmobuick bit it hard....

BlackSpeed66

My daily driver '88 Olds finally knocked it's last knock. It's had a lot of random valvetrain/engine noise for the last month that I couldn't fix...mainly b/c the car's just not worth it. After a rather intense left of center pass (b/c the idiot was going 25 in a 40!!) the noise got rather loud, followed by a series of clunks that I'm sure was most of the top-end self-destructing. Not good. The noise previously mentioned has now disappeared (yay!) but was replaced by an ominous clunking coming from deep inside the motor (boo!). I limp the car to my singer's house, during which the car stalled three more times en route. Upon opening the hood, a hideous burning smell was noticed immediately. I decided the check the oil and after some difficulty removing the dipstick found out that whatever fell into the oil pan got picked up by the spinning crankshaft and bent it! Since I made it to my destination in one piece, I really didn't care at the moment and went about my weekend. This evening I went back to retrieve the car and had no luck starting it....so it gets towed home tomorrow. Beautiful. [smilie=e:

And now a moment of silence: 1988 Olds Delta 88 Royale 3.8L R.I.P.

....or not. I hated that car and drove it as such! Hopefully I can get some pics of the destruction!

Anyone need any Olds/3.8L parts? [smilie=e:

My daily driver '88 Olds finally knocked it's last knock. It's had a lot of random valvetrain/engine noise for the last month that I couldn't fix...mainly b/c the car's just not worth it. After a rather intense left of center pass (b/c the idiot was going 25 in a 40!!) the noise got rather loud, followed by a series of clunks that I'm sure was most of the top-end self-destructing. Not good. The noise previously mentioned has now disappeared (yay!) but was replaced by an ominous clunking coming from deep inside the motor (boo!). I limp the car to my singer's house, during which the car stalled three more times en route. Upon opening the hood, a hideous burning smell was noticed immediately. I decided the check the oil and after some difficulty removing the dipstick found out that whatever fell into the oil pan got picked up by the spinning crankshaft and bent it! Since I made it to my destination in one piece, I really didn't care at the moment and went about my weekend. This evening I went back to retrieve the car and had no luck starting it....so it gets towed home tomorrow. Beautiful. [smilie=e:

And now a moment of silence: 1988 Olds Delta 88 Royale 3.8L R.I.P.

....or not. I hated that car and drove it as such! Hopefully I can get some pics of the destruction!

Anyone need any Olds/3.8L parts? [smilie=e:

BlackSpeed66 said:
Upon opening the hood, a hideous burning smell was noticed immediately. I decided the check the oil and after some difficulty removing the dipstick found out that whatever fell into the oil pan got picked up by the spinning crankshaft and bent it!

Anyone need any Olds/3.8L parts? [smilie=e:[/quote]

No thanks... [smilie=e:

BlackSpeed66 said:
Upon opening the hood, a hideous burning smell was noticed immediately. I decided the check the oil and after some difficulty removing the dipstick found out that whatever fell into the oil pan got picked up by the spinning crankshaft and bent it!

Anyone need any Olds/3.8L parts? [smilie=e:[/quote]

No thanks... [smilie=e:

How many miles on that beast? Usually they run eternally... my boss' car died at 332,000 miles--not because of mechanical failure, but because the engine cradle fell out when the rust got to be too extensive. [smilie=2:

How many miles on that beast? Usually they run eternally... my boss' car died at 332,000 miles--not because of mechanical failure, but because the engine cradle fell out when the rust got to be too extensive. [smilie=2:

The car had 187,000 miles. It was the longest-lasting GM product we've owned. By the time my mom got done with it (she's not nice on cars) it was pretty well abused and its days were numbered.

I'll probably eBay the headlights/tail lights and random interior and EFI parts to recoup the $65.00 tow!

Dave, dunno about the half shafts. As far as I know, they're original, so I'm not sure how much good they'd do ya.

The car had 187,000 miles. It was the longest-lasting GM product we've owned. By the time my mom got done with it (she's not nice on cars) it was pretty well abused and its days were numbered.

I'll probably eBay the headlights/tail lights and random interior and EFI parts to recoup the $65.00 tow!

Dave, dunno about the half shafts. As far as I know, they're original, so I'm not sure how much good they'd do ya.

Dr.Jass said:
How many miles on that beast? Usually they run eternally... my boss' car died at 332,000 miles--not because of mechanical failure, but because the engine cradle fell out when the rust got to be too extensive. [smilie=2:[/quote]

[smilie=r:

Dr.Jass said:
How many miles on that beast? Usually they run eternally... my boss' car died at 332,000 miles--not because of mechanical failure, but because the engine cradle fell out when the rust got to be too extensive. [smilie=2:[/quote]

[smilie=r:

New half shafts arnt going to run more than 150-175 and shipping/removal time will be alot of that.New ones have warrenty.You deserve new parts.

New half shafts arnt going to run more than 150-175 and shipping/removal time will be alot of that.New ones have warrenty.You deserve new parts.

moparmarcidaho said:
True dat!

Dave!

moparmarcidaho said:
True dat!

Dave!

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back