SPAM

dodgechargerfan

In a 55 gallon drum, floating down river, and
Staff member
You may have noticed a few SPAM posts recently. You might have even noticed the names of some newly registered users that are now no longer registered.

There's no real breach to the board. These "people" are actually spending the time to register for real rather than the old way of using an automated program to create new users.

There's no way to stop a real person sitting at a computer, filling out the whole registration form... unless we lock out new users completely and that would be silly.

So, for now, we'll see some SPAM now and again. We've managed to catch most before they even post, but one posted right away earlier today. That post and account has been deleted. Don't worry, you didn't miss anything good - just an offer for some little blue pills for cheap. If you need those, check you e-mail, you should be getting a similar message right... about.... now. :D

If you do see a post similar to this, just report it. Don't respond. If they have e-mail notification turned for any replies to their posts, then they'll know they've got some action on their posted message and come back and try some more.

If it gets worse, I have a way to moderate new user registrations. If I need to, I'll turn it on and new users will have to wait until an admin can allow or deny their registration. That sounds too much like a "rule" for the likes of this place, but if it keeps things running smoothly, so be it. It just means a bit more work for the admins and some patience for any new registrants.

Kirk out. (I've been waiting for a reason to say that. [smilie=f: )

and for gosh sake don't klik the "opt out" link it only puts you on the sucker list as a live addy.

over roger roger over

I've put some code in place to reject the spammers' registration attempts and re-direct them to xl's e-mail. :shifty:

It's true except for the last part.

It's not 100% foolproof as the spammer needs to be known in some way, but those things that can identify a spammer are checked against an ever growing database. It at least gives them another hoop to jump through - and if they still spam under a new name, we can add them to the database again.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back