Review: Challenger & Barracuda resto guide, P. Herd

909Hemi

There are currently 2 resto guides on the market that deal with these cars. I chose this one, by Paul Herd, simply because it is larger at 272 pages vs. "The ULTIMATE CHALLENGER & BARRACUDA RESTORER'S GUIDE" by Jim Schild which comes in at 128 pages.
A bigger book must have more information, right? Well... not if that information is wrong. Herd's book has either wrong or blatantly omitted information on almost every page! I'm certainly no expert on these cars, but I have owned 16 of them over the years. The information and lack of important info contained in this book would set the unknowing restorer up for a huge, expensive mistake at his 1st major show.
Additionally, there is'nt a single color photo in the book, which would be especially usefull for chassis and engine details. The B&W pics that are shown are usually of modified cars, ie: "Here's a pic of the correct carb solenoid on a 1970 AAR 'Cuda". Well, that's fine, but that picture also shows the wrong valve covers, wrong fuel line, and a Pep Boys fuel filter. Most all of the pics of common detail parts like pedal pads and shift knobs came straight from the Year One catalog.
There is some good information here and there, but the problem is, that with so much blatently wrong here that even the average Mopar nut can easily spot, you end up not believing a single thing you're shown.

Your best bet is to avoid this book, and use this board or one of the other Mopar boards to get the accurate info needed for your restoration. I'm going to buy "The ULTIMATE CHALLENGER & BARRACUDA RESTORER'S GUIDE" which does have 250 color photos, and I will report back on it.

Thanks for the review! [smilie=e:

BTW, Herd's B-body book ain't no better. I guess he gets credit for trying. I guess.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back