Now thats how you part a car!

Jamies440

Divorced Bird
Hey all,

Decided yesterday to finish off the rotted out '78 Fury cop car. Damn rubber mats, I was really hoping to save this one but its pretty bad up front, to the point there are very little floors left. :(

Anyway I'd previously pulled the front clip off it sans bumper. Also had pulled the dash as well. Yesterday I moved it near a power source so I could use power tools and went to work, from front to back. Pulled the bumper off it, then the K-member loaded with suspension, steering, and brakes, then went to the back. Rear axle came out next and that was the last I pulled yesterday (Wednesday). Today (Thurs) I went back at it, and pulled the back bumper with taillights (Thats a heavy mutherfucker), then went to work on the quarter panel.

Took me two freaking hours :mad: with an angle grinder and diamond blade but I got it. I was covered head to foot in metal shavings and dirt. I did use ear plugs, safety glasses, and a dust mask so that was better.

But by golly I got that sumbitch off. Its very difficult on a 4-dr because you have to cut part of the rear door jamb off inside the seam. Not to mention I had to cut the wheelwell off as well. Next comes the drivers side, which I am NOT looking forward to. I'll cut it the same way and hopefully it comes quicker because I'll know exactly what to do. :shifty:

Add quarter panel removal from a parts car on the list of things I hate doing! [smilie=f:

a sawzall with a "torch" blade in the short and long versions make QUICK work of any car...i cut and loaded a 1980 lincoln that was a running driveing clean car in 2 days

a sawzall with a "torch" blade in the short and long versions make QUICK work of any car...i cut and loaded a 1980 lincoln that was a running driveing clean car in 2 days

2 days [smilie=2: i had 4 hrs when I worked in a SOBs yard I even cut the gas line and gas tank out with a cutting torch, he told me just be careful and not use too much o2. You all know the screen version of my SOB ex boss he was the real life person that was depicted in gone in 60 sec! What a slave driver but he was fair to customers this was in 76 no way i could strip a car down that fast now as I am old and fat! Can you say chop shop?

:nopics:

Add quarter panel removal from a parts car on the list of things I hate doing! [smilie=f:[/quote]

My 4 hr chop job did not inc removal of 1/4s they were sent to crusher for $$ to pull a 1/4 takes some time.

b4 I get flamed it was a GM yard and we were raising cash. It changed to a all mustang yard. The all MoPar yards I worked at we just sat around BS or preping parts until a call came over the ( phone lines ) then we would pull the part if we knew it sold. We were on 3 different lines they were fun too.

go get some of the Fire and Rescue blades for your sawzall. cant remember the brand but its white with red writing. ive cut 2 cars apart back to back with the same blade.

hmm fire and rescue blades eh...ill look into that

only took me 2 days to cut the linc apart cause i took everything salvageable off of the body...and had to basicaly cut it into pieces that would fit into the bed of a truck in a single load to scrap

I did the same thing to a Pontiac Sunbird. It only takes 5 regular sized trash cans to dispose of one of them bodies.....

go get some of the Fire and Rescue blades for your sawzall. cant remember the brand but its white with red writing. ive cut 2 cars apart back to back with the same blade.

I have some of those, NICE, :giggedy: they're made by Milwaukee, bought them at work :shifty:

let's not forget the lowly cut off wheel installed on a skil saw. Sweeping the floor pays 2 fitty.

:nopics:

how about a nice Plasma cutter- best purchase I made in Jan. only 3 years old and the nicest part is only takes 1/4 time to cut stuff!!!:giggedy: :giggedy: :giggedy:

after the firewall and a few other needed area's cut out- no more car!!!

my pic!

Attachments

• IM000939sm.JPG
    IM000939sm.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 10
the one we have at work cost around 1800 bucks. but i cant remember the brand right now. its damned nice. but i dont got that kind money for it now.

cheap ones are around a grand still. these company's know what they got and they know people want them. so they still cost a friggin fortune.

So yah want some pics aye? Well, here ya go, one slightly cut-up-and-parted 1978 Plymouth Sedan!

Oh yeah I still need to get the drivers quarter off it but other than that and the column, its ready to roll outta here (Rather, roll out on a trailer!)

Attachments

• carnage1.jpg
    carnage1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 5
  • carnage2.jpg
    carnage2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 2
  • carnage3.jpg
    carnage3.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3
  • carnage4.jpg
    carnage4.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 2
  • carnage5.jpg
    carnage5.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 3
  • carnage7.jpg
    carnage7.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 4
YA- New ones are around 2000 for up to 3/8 cut with 60 pounds of air and about 30 amps @ 220 volts. it could be converted to 120 volts- but rating on it was like 38 amps @ 120v:doh: :doh:

guy wanted 1100 but offered 1000...:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

cut the steering column shaft off the 72-just turned it up all the way and it cut it like butter!!!!

but I went through two heads on it- guess all the other crap on the metal took the dickens outta the tip!!!!

Now for a Tig unit.........:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back