My Wife said I was going to break it!

Hemi Cuda

Darn, I hate it when she says that. I just got the Hemi running and been driving it for about a month. Last Friday night I power shifted to second gear and found the weak link in my running gear. However this wasn't the first time I got on it. [smilie=e:

But the good side is it had 3:91 so now I am going to 3:55 so it is more driveable on the freeway. Always look for the silver lining. [smilie=e:

I put up some pictures on this car under first time here in case you don't remember.

Attachments

• broken_002.jpg
    broken_002.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 201
Ouchy, that hadda hurt! Put a smaller eng in, you won't break so many parts(& send me the Hemi!) [smilie=e: Rich.

(& send me the Hemi!) Rich
Good idea I still have the 340 and never broke anything with it. Where do you want me to send the Hemi?I still have the crate it came in too how convient,huh. Don't know why I didn't think of that before I did the swap.

Man I can't figure out the quote thingy!!!!!!
Hope you get the Idea!!!

Oh mann, I gotta stop sayin stuff like that, thats how I got the 74 i'm tryin to get shipped up from texas! [smilie=e:
Would LOVE to buy it, but my car budget is spent for the next gazillion years! [smilie=e:

walks away wondering what shippin a motor across country would cost [smilie=e: Rich.

Geeze I never thought of selling to you I was just going to crate it up and send it off to you. Thinking you were doing me a favor. [smilie=e:

I'm such a great guy, I would hafta at least offer to pay the tip to the trucker! [smilie=eggface.gif]Rich.

moparmarcidaho said:
posi looks ok still,did you toast the housing? [smilie=e:[/quote]

No, the only thing I broke was the ring and pinion gears. But I got it back together 2 weeks later and am out there running again. This is my first Hemi and that sucker is fun. I have always had small blocks, use to race 340's about 20 years ago. [smilie=e:

well if I was you I would goout to SIR and have some fun.I was there at the fall nationals way back when dyno don and dick landy were still driving,had a 69 coronet 500 convert then,didnt run it there but ran it allthe time at PIR and Woodburn.You should think about a dana if you want to bang gears,I might be able to come up with something out of a ford pickup that would go if you are interested.

Yes I am planning on going to SIR this summer haven't been there in 20 years. Been busy working and raising a family now their gone so I have a little more time for me and my hobbys.

I think I found a Dana that is going to be put in the car this winter, just want to drive it now you know. Might be interested in the ford rearend let me know some details not to knowledgeable though on a swap like that. I have a 71 cuda I am restoring and want to put a 440 6 pack or a Hemi in it.

certian years of ford pickups hav dana 60s with the half ton 5 hole pattern axles in them.I worked for ford backin the late 80s,I dont remember exactly what years but I willfind out.And a 9 inch would be an improvement over a mopar 8 3/4 because they have an extra
bearing at the back of the pinion.Helps keep the twist out of things when you dump the clutch.Thats the reason people use those in about everything.If your not concerned about being correct in your restoration it would be a dragrace improvement you know,back when I was at SIR there was an old builbing down by the traps that you could climb up on for a great view of things,probably gone now.The last time I was there Garlits got a bad tire shake and spat parts into the bleachers injuring some spectators,it was right across from where we were sitting,kinda scary.Ive never had a Cuda myself but had 2 challengers.Well I better get buisy,we are dumping a fresh 5.2 magnum in a 96 Dakota today,30 over,Elgin RV grind with a Cloyes true roller set to 2 degrees advance,relieived the intake some,might just do better than stock we are hoping,see ya Mo. [smilie=e:

How was the backlash before it went?

I have never broken a 8 3/4 but there has been a lot of talk of late that they are weak. And yes a 9 in is better and there are tons of upgrages that the 9 in has available. A Dana 60 looks cool till you want to swap gears in the pits.
Also IMHO the drag loss in a dana in not warrented in a car with less than 500 Hp

If you want a dana 60 moser ( sp) is building new danas with all the goodys.

See http://www.moserengineering.com/moser_interior/newproducts.htm

I have never been able to break a 8 3/4 and i have had over 500 Hp but in a automatic and ~ 400 behind a 4 speed road runner.

4 speed and hemi may be have excess torque IMHO I would run the 8 3/4 till it fails.

Well Wild! I have a Hemi Crate with 465 hp rating but the Mopar dealer said it is more likely 550hp. I have managed to break this one with it.

I was able to break them 30 years ago with my 340 too, Guess I am just lucky? [smilie=b:

Tried to get on the website you suggested but it wouldn't come up.

I am looking for a dana 60 so if anybody knows of one let me know. Thanks.

Thanks Charger fan

Fixxed my link sorry about the sloppy edits. I am tired most of the time ( Cheeper than drinking) I guess I am the lucky one not to have ever broken one.

I will let you keep your Hemi if you send me your spare 340.

Oh and what?s a posi? [smilie=e:

My MOPAR has a sure-grip in it. [smilie=a:

Sorry, [smilie=e: The 340 has X heads and was pretty quick. I've got a 71 Cuda it is going in. Unless I can come up with the money for another Hemi.

Posi is same as suregrip or limited slip. When you spin the rear tires they are going to both spin.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back