Minivan measurements

neonrog

I am contemplating an unusual minivan project. And wondered if anyone with a 84-95 minivan could take some measurments for me... I don't have a van onhand yet and none of my friends would be caught dead in one. That might change if things go right.

I could use front framerail center to center distance right over the axle shaft. Also, bottom of the framerail to the ground over the axleshaft. Framerail center to center over the rear axle, framerail to ground over the axle and leaf spring center to center. And lastly, leaf spring length, and center to front bushing and center to rear bushing.

I'm just trying to figure some things before I collect parts.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Roger

ive got a 89 turbo caravan..SHORT wheel base

what ya thinking???...if its a v8 swap talk with XL he's got one

Bah, mines in hiding and I haven't seen it in a year. :D
I suspect a 4x4???

Bah, mines in hiding and I haven't seen it in a year. :D
I suspect a 4x4???

ive considered that a few times...and yes its easily done...and the front rails WILL support it there a nightmare to cut as theres sooo damn many layers

if i did a 4x id ladder the frame from the engine to the rear bumper as its a flexing hell hole from where the firewall meets the frame..everything from the firewall forward is built like a tank

Yes, the shorty turbo van will be just fine... I've been in touch with XL about a V8/RWD mini...

And yes, a 4x4 is the plan if I can get a van cheapo. Sleeve the framerails like the Cherokee guys do. Crossmembers for the trans and tcase. Some sort of cradle/crossmember for the motor. I'm hoping the frame up front comes close to about 36" apart (the spacing of the spring buckets on the Cherokee axle!). Motor and trans aren't decided, but I have thought about a 2.5 turbo and a Dakota 5 speed and tcase... But I'm thinking a 3.9/5.2/5.9 now. But still a 5 speed. I do not want a tall truck, must fit in my garage.

But again, all depends on if I find a cheapo trashed drivetrain mini (free works for me)...

watch craigslist for a minivan..they pop up like weeds for next to nothing

i will get you measurements in the mornin

36 inches apart sounds REALLY close to what the front end is

Cool beans brother... 36" would be the best. Or close to it. And as mentioned, plenty of additional material will be added where I feel it is needed.

Here is a pic of my old Caravan I sold 5 years ago (shouldn't have sold it, should have put that Daytona 2.2 intercooled motor and 5 speed in it... Hind sight!). I could still open all the doors...

Attachments

• Mvc-608x.jpg
    Mvc-608x.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 21
Yeah well, it was a joke about SUV owners that HAD to have 4x4 and never use it. Sort of backfired on me. As I really got into the offroading thing with the minivan.

rear rails are aprox 40 from outter to outter wall
rear springs sit at 52
eye to eye is about 50

front rails are about 36 at the firewall and about 34ish at the core support

16 inches to ground(tho i have shorter than stock tires

these are ruff measurements cause its been pouring all day..but should be within say 2 inches or less

something to keep in mind tho is that the rear springs and wheel sit WAY outside of the frame rails..you can actualy open up the rear wheel wells and tub it and fit more than double the stock tire in there...when i cut up the parts van i cut in a way to see what could be done and where

i have sitting here a pair of front rails and k-member i can get better measurements off of when its not raining..and a rear axle and springs still attatched to there mounts....

Thanks for the numbers. I could have waited for the ground to get dry!

I'm a bit surprised at the rear spring width, but then having the springs that far out there, I'll probably have to put the springs under the frame rails. Need to be careful since going to a real axle from that minivan axle will be what, 5" lift at least?

Hmm, 16"? Is that right above the axle shaft from the ground? Been about 5 years since I crawled under a minivan, guess I forgot how close the axle shaft is to the frame. What size tires are you using? Might have to rethink the front coil springs then. Stock Cherokee coils are about 12" under load. I suppose it wouldn't be so bad to consider leaf springs up front. To clear bigger tires, I was going to move the axle centerline forward about 3 inches (to clear the doors mainly). Hmmm, crossmember under the rad support for leaf springs like the Yota guys do for solid axle swaps into their IFS trucks. Hmmm, how about outside to outside frame rails right at the axle? Maybe I can use coilovers... I know, pricey, there is a company that makes some good coilovers for less though like $175 each plus springs...

Sounds like I need a van now.

if it was me i would go classic leaf front leaf rear......the front rails have some VERY weird shape and i cant be sure i measured the hieght correctly...i think my tires are 205 60's not the normal 205 70-75 seen on most minivans

one of the biggest probelms on minivans to "performance" guys is that lowwering the rear is damn neer imposible and must be accomplished by makeing a new droped spindle for the rear axle

course if you didnt mind modding the rear floor you could z the frame back there if needed

I might consider some rear frame notching. I've known a couple different folks that lowered the rear, none did it the same way. All had NO rear travel. Even moving the leaf springs inboard and under the frame, there would be limited uptravel, depending on how much of an arch I start with in the springs.

I had 205/50-15s on my van for a while. I liked the way it handled, but not the ride. Then I started playing in the dirt. I had 205/75-15s on it when I sold it. The "flex" pic was on 195/70-14s. PLenty of room in the rear wheel wells, I like the ide of more room towards the frame, so I could run a bigger tire and still slide the door open.

As for the front, leaf springs might just be the way to go. I've seen plenty of minivans set on truck frames to get the 4x4, but don't think I've seen one like I want to do. Front wheel well will need to be opened towrds the front some, so some sort of flare may be needed to finish the edges.

Other than it being a minivan, I would like to finish it out like most guys do their Cherokees. Bumpers, rock sliders under the rockers, skid plates where needed.

This is just an idea I've had kicking around for way too long and I think I could do this over the summer. If only to make those guys that are not secure enough in their manhood uncomfortable and give them the creeps!

Dodge, different... Yes, it would be.

i pondered the idea ALOT myself and figured leafs was the only way togo..on the front wheel wells ..if you did open them up..the trick i would do would be to cut the arch flare off and section it out to cover the new opening..thus keeping a "stock" look to it

in the rear there is an ungodly amount of space both up into a HUGE wheel well and in tward the frame..i think with some trimming and moveing of the leaf's you could actualy fit a 31 1250 15 INSIDE the wheel well without issue LOL and have room to have some nice articulation

your sleeving the rails idea is how i want to resurect the "mud fish" a 69 cuda coupe on 33's..but you will find on the front minivan rails that you probably wont need to sleeve them....there more than 1/4 inch think in most places

watch your local and surrounding area www.craigslist.org for a minivan and id be willing to bet you could pick one up for next to nothing especialy with a blown trans or engine

Somehow, the stock look would be lost. I'm not a bodywork guy, But I see your point on the front fenders. I hadn't thought about that, have to look for a couple extra fenders to section in. As I think more about, I really like this idea. Keep folks wondering whats different...

Since I was thinking some 31s were about as big as I wanted to go anyway (I think), I would be willing to slice up some floor if need be. Especially if I can keep the side door sliding open all the way. If I'm careful with wheel backspacing I might be able to keep the fronts in the fenders too. Utah really doesn't like tires outside fenders. And lifted vehicles need mudflaps.

Been watching graigslist and other local ads for cheap to free minis.

a narrow set of 31's should fit up front without to much hassle..maybe some 31x9 or even 850's if you can find em

Still giving this a lot of thought. Evolved it a little bit too, as the idea continues to gel. Haven't found a good candidate yet either. Been working on my son's Ranger project and on my daughter's Cherokee. Gotta have them both finished and painted before the middle of next months when I send them both off to college... Then my own Grand Cherokee gets a 2" lift and 31s. And the Neon gets a modded nose for big driving lights and maybe some SRT4 brakes!!!! (If the yahoo will sell them...)

I will be pulling the motor out of mine soon, can get you some good measurements for a V8 swap if you need. :)

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back