Least Favorite thing to work on a car.

rp23g7

Bored at work again, slow day.
I search for this, but didnt find it.
So, we all love working on our old MoPars, but there has got to be at least one job on it that you must absolutly hate doing.
What is it?
Mine?
I have had to drop the tank on ever old Mopar to replace the float or sending unit, or to clean the tank out, hate that job. Getting ready to do it on the Coronet.
Such a pain.
I worked at Mazda for a while, hated doing timing belts on 6 cyl MPV's
Worked at Chrysler once too, want to replace a horn on a Cirrus, I had to take half the stuff out of the front end.
I will never buy a older car with AC again after having my heater core go out on a 79 Ford LTD, that car had it in for me.

Whats yours? Everybody must have one.

For me, anything with grease or brake fluid is something I try real hard to avoid. As a bodyman and painter, I've developed an aversion to greasy and slippery hands. ***shudders***
Just like normal folks hate dust, I hate slime.
I ain't too wild about the smell of gasoline either.

For me, anything with grease or brake fluid is something I try real hard to avoid. As a bodyman and painter, I've developed an aversion to greasy and slippery hands. ***shudders***
Agreed. Personally, if I never had to drop the pan on a 727 again, it'd still be too soon.

Rusted or seized bolts where only the head is accessible.... where do you apply the heat wrench on something like that?

BURNT 90wt or BURNT atf.....you dont wash that shit off..you WEAR it off

seriously tho worst job has got to be the tranny bolts on an Abody..anyone with anything above a "normal" size hand knows what i mean...your better off pulling the engine and trans as a unit!!...unless you get so sick and tired of trying that you drill 4 holes in the firewall to access them
...of everything ive worked on mopar..thats my only complaint...only other semi bad job i can think of is a married unit transfer case on a fulltime mopar truck....its a HEAVY mofo that wont stay on a jack..bench press that bitch

as for other brands.....
the alternator on a bug...ill NEVER work on a bug for free again!!!
guibo changing on an alfa(big rubber doughnuts instead of u-joints)
everything porsche is a pain!
audi clutch...ugly posibion hell to get at everythings in the way..even the damned battery is in the way

Working on the old Mopes is therapeutic, nothing really seems to bother because I'm not rushed, Rust is a necessary evil I have made peace with and bought power tools for. :)

I second the 90W. I hate dripping things, be it melting snow, anti- freeze, oil, brake fluid,or gasoline. I must have been waterboarded in a past life.

Another general gripe; I absolutely hate the smell of diesel, be it burned or unburned, especially in a semi enclosed area. I get a headache and nauseous, just all round unpleasant for me.

Body Work of Anykind
Anything Ford
Diesel Anything
Antifreeze on hands
Brake fluid on hands
Burnt ATF
Rotors with bearings in them.
Ford Windstars
Dodge Caravans
Ford Cars
Power Steering Systems
Ford Trucks
Did I say Ford Minivans? :D
Just about anything build by Chrysler after about 1995. :doh:

I'm sure there is more but thats all I can think of.

BTW I am Officially a Year 1 Automotive Service Technician Apprentice. :giggedy:

Last edited:
Body Work of Anykind
Anything Ford
Diesel Anything
Antifreeze on hands
Brake fluid on hands
Burnt ATF
Rotors with bearings in them.
Ford Windstars
Dodge Caravans
Ford Cars
Power Steering Systems
Ford Trucks
Did I say Ford Minivans? :D
Just about anything build by Chrysler after about 1995. :doh:

I'm sure there is more but thats all I can think of.

BTW I am Officially a Year 1 Automotive Service Technician Apprentice. :giggedy:
Congrats! Got a good sponsor?

BTW, you can tell us how you really feel about Fords.

I have changed sooooooo many floats in the tank on the same cars that it can be done in my sleep now.......zzzzzzzzzzz.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........zzzzzzzzzzz

BUT Heater box problems seriously SUCK

seriously tho worst job has got to be the tranny bolts on an Abody..anyone with anything above a "normal" size hand knows what i mean...y

that's why Piggy has me do them, I have little hands....but I hate it too. I usually end up getting intimate with at least one bracket or dipstick tube :shifty:

Taken just a couple weeks ago doing the dirty deed :D

IMG_5295.jpg

yeah see you understand..and thats EXACTLY why there are 4 body plugs in my firewall now..open door slide in extension and remove..

oh and theres 2 bolts on the alfa that suck..lowwer transaxle mount nut on the drivers side and the forward drivers side rear caliper nut..both HELL

Small shops tend to be the best ones to learn in, IF the teachers are decent techs.

They seem to be pretty good, I'm sure learning lots, his brother finished Tech school only a few years ago.

The rearmost bumper-mount bolts at the back of the shock-absorber mounts on an M-body. I've been fighting mine for several years, and still they hold fast. It's like they were spot-welded into place after they were installed.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back