Jester's Progress...

so long as you dont "beat" on it any old LA will swap in along with trans and the rear WILL survive..its when you get rouudy and leavin smoke that youll eat the rear....
"if" you want the 7 out back to survive look at 273/218s ..anything bigger and the 7 wont last long....its about torque...a "healthy" 273 will eat them VERY slowly ..in fact you can drag race with them..but expect to eat one every year or so in that situation
basicly if you drive fairly sane the 7 will take a small block "low torque"

Replaced the oil switch/sender thing, and the oil light hasn't come back on. Been bombing around in Goldmember quite frequently, picking the 3 year old up from daycare and she loves it. "I want daddy to pick me up in his old car!"
This, I absolutely love. It's awesome that she likes the "old car".

I'm enjoying the old slant and have an engine hoist and stand ready to be assembled for the 100,000 mile rollover. At 99,198 currently.

Then I had an idea, lets get rid of the slant and drop in a '94-'02 Magnum 5.9 or 5.2. Probably have to replace the rear-end and get a V8 transmission, but other than that, should be a fairly simple swap. Engine mounts are available for the slant 6 k-member. Hmm...
I'm not so sure about this, though. Why pull the engine at 100K if there's nothing wrong with it? I'm not knockin' the V8 swap (although I'm certainly no fan of Magnum V8 engines) but why break the car now? Is it just the novelty of doing it when the odometer reads 00000.0?

If I may be so bold--and even if I may not, I'm going to anyway--I'd suggest leaving the car as-is. It's reliable, it's enjoyable, and Jestette digs it. Kids grow up quickly, so spend Dart time with her whenever the opportunity presents. In the meantime, find your V8/transmission of choice and freshen/install it with her help, if she shows interest. She probably will; she's still at that magic age where toads and bugs and getting greasy aren't gross yet and Daddy's just the bestest thing ever. If she does help, then eventually Goldmember ceases being "Daddy's car" and becomes "our car". I think that would be pretty cool for both of you.

I'm not so sure about this, though. Why pull the engine at 100K if there's nothing wrong with it? I'm not knockin' the V8 swap (although I'm certainly no fan of Magnum V8 engines) but why break the car now? Is it just the novelty of doing it when the odometer reads 00000.0?
Not sure. Why do we do what we do when we do what we do hanging out late with no curfew?

I was always planning to completely tear the car down and start from scratch at 0 miles, but you're right, ignoring the odometer is probably the way to go. Will collect necessary parts before pulling the motor, and that might take months or years. Could even go with a digital dash, but I like the interior to look stock.

What's wrong with the magnum engines? Seem pretty stout, long lasting and powerful right out of the gate.

If you do go with a magnum motor look at the 5.2 over the 5.9. Everyone I've know who had a 5.9 had problems with the heads failing, or other top end/exhaust problems. Those with the 5.2 had no issues.

I agree with Doc about using your time now with the Dart and your Daughter, we used to do our yearly family vacations in the wagon and the kids still talk about and reminisce over those years even though they are now young adults. I used to pick them up from school, and run around and get groceries go to doctor appointments and stuff with them in the wagon.

Probably one of the reasons my youngest wanted an older car to daily drive...her little 1988 Aries has been a pretty reliable car and she absolutely loves the car and gets compliments all the time, and people stopping to take pics of it etc.

Not sure. Why do we do what we do when we do what we do hanging out late with no curfew?
Because our adoring 3-year-old daughter isn't watching us disassemble something she enjoys for a project...
...that might take months or years...
...during which she can't ride in it. The project years take forever to pass but the kid years fly. My 3-year-old is 28 now.

What's wrong with the magnum engines? Seem pretty stout, long lasting and powerful right out of the gate.
Cracked heads, rickety valvetrain design, cracked heads, cracked heads, mediocre peformance-parts availability, wide machining tolerances and also cracked heads. If you'd like a free, low-mile Mopar Performance Magnum 360 crate long-block, come and get it. I think it' the 300-horse version since the 380 came with a single-plane. There's no intake or valve covers; I bought the engine just to flip those items for more than I paid for the whole engine. The long-block is still sitting in the truck and apparently has maybe 1,000-1,500 miles on it.

im with those guys..and will add..if it aint broke dont fix it, also once the milage is "exempt" you can pretty much do whatever....

if it was mine, id get all the v8 parts together, have the trans rebuilt, rebuild the LA engine, get all the brake parts and suspention parts, and i mean EVERYTHING, and once i had everything in hand id do it all and then reset the milage to zero at that time....and ive done it on a couple of cars at the time of "its new and fully rebuilt"

if you really want to swap it later..and im still not sure why..again go with what doc said do it with her

ive got a couple of OE v8 members laying around, hell ive a few core 318s (atleast 2 that were running when pulled) and atleast 1 known good 904...i may even have the v8 harness for your car for that matter..not that the slanty harness doesnt work with a few tweaks..in fact ive got all the "oe" parts youd need to do a LA swap from the trans mount to the fan..only thing i dont have is a rad

you couldnt GIVE me a magdumb for free....id rather run an LS swap than one of those...and thats saying something

You guys are right, my kids will get to enjoy rides in Goldmember until I start pulling it apart. Will have to figure out my plans for it in the next few months, and start accruing parts necessary for the build. As for the 3 year old, we'll be working on a project car when she gets a bit older, maybe 12 or 13, so it's ready to go on her 16th birthday. The 3 month old will get the same opportunity, but we'll see what they're interested in when the time comes. I originally wanted to do a slant build, but the sound and fun of a V8 can't be matched, and the money spent upgrading a slant to be as powerful as a near stock 318 is getting ridiculous.

If you'd like a free, low-mile Mopar Performance Magnum 360 crate long-block, come and get it. I think it' the 300-horse version since the 380 came with a single-plane. There's no intake or valve covers; I bought the engine just to flip those items for more than I paid for the whole engine. The long-block is still sitting in the truck and apparently has maybe 1,000-1,500 miles on it.

Any idea of the year? Would totally come pick it up if it wasn't so far away. What do ya figure engine on pallet shipping would be?

ive got a couple of OE v8 members laying around, hell ive a few core 318s (atleast 2 that were running when pulled) and atleast 1 known good 904...i may even have the v8 harness for your car for that matter..not that the slanty harness doesnt work with a few tweaks..in fact ive got all the "oe" parts youd need to do a LA swap from the trans mount to the fan..only thing i dont have is a rad

you couldnt GIVE me a magdumb for free....id rather run an LS swap than one of those...and thats saying something
If I remember correctly, you're in Oregon? That's not too far, may have to buy some parts off you in the future. I better look into the collector plate issue, if I modify the engine, it may have to be reported to the insurance company, yadda yadda. Don't want to lose the cheap collectors insurance.

may have to be reported to the insurance company
I just went though this with my road runner - best to come clean and have coverage than to fudge the truth and save $5 a year to end up with the policy cancelled and the claim rejected when you need it.

The way they phrased the question, you could have a completely stock car with a set of headers on it, and yes that's an engine modification you need to tell them about. I know, I know, it's all a scam but what are you gonna do?

Any idea of the year? Would totally come pick it up if it wasn't so far away. What do ya figure engine on pallet shipping would be?
Not really. It's in a '77-'78 W250. I'll relay what I was told:

I pulled the valve covers and intake off the engine, and the boneyard owner (bowner?) asked me if they'd come from the black truck. I said they had, and he was visibly unhappy with me. Now, I'd trust this guy if he told me the sky was green; I've been dealing with him for 20+ years. We have a good working relationship and I want to maintain that. I asked him about the long face, and he said the guy that junked that truck got transferred and had to sell his land. "I got 15 or so vehicles from him. That truck was his project. I don't think it ever had plates on it." The guy bought the engine, installed it in the W250--itself assembled from parts of lesser trucks--and broke it in. After that he used it as a "yard truck" meaning it rarely left his acreage. Paul said the guy had driven it up the rural road both men lived on, to the yard once or twice to get parts, but it wasn't registered and never did highway time. Paul doesn't think there's 500 miles on it, but it was in the truck for a number of years. Since Paul was irate about me taking parts off it, I bought the rest of the engine for $200. He smiled.

It was clearly a low-mile engine. No evidence of anything but clean oil. The balancer is new. The non-roller cam (consistent with a 300HP crate engine) looks new. The valvetrain and heads are very clean. I thought to throw it in Agnes after I'm done playing W2 games, but that means finding/buying a 130-tooth flywheel for a 5.9 Magnum... money I can't be bothered to spend.

In terms of shipping, I've no idea. The last thing I shipped by truck freight was around 2004 (a hood) and it was not inexpensive (around $400, I believe). If it's gotta cross the border it'll be worse yet... and no offense, I'm not going to make all that effort for a freebie. That's a lot of work, then I still have to get it to the freight depot. There would be costs involved beyond simple shipping.

Thanks, Jass. Yeah, the amount of leg work and shipping/cross-border costs make it a wash. I may be best off finding a rusted out V8 donor locally, and swap out what's necessary. Slant will do for now

Thanks, Jass. Yeah, the amount of leg work and shipping/cross-border costs make it a wash. I may be best off finding a rusted out V8 donor locally, and swap out what's necessary. Slant will do for now
like i said ive probably got everything down here..and yeah im in oregon..west of portland...so its not too terible of a drive..heck...maybe you could ride down with cow and talk him into hauling everything back....

at some point i need to get up to saltspring to pickup a storage unit of MIL's stuff, and i have family that seems to want to make regular trips from creston to here as well....

like i said I've probably got everything down here..and yeah I'm in Oregon..west of Portland...so its not too terrible of a drive..heck...maybe you could ride down with cow and talk him into hauling everything back....

at some point i need to get up to Salt spring to pickup a storage unit of MIL's stuff, and i have family that seems to want to make regular trips from Creston to here as well....

😄....I was thinking just that as well.

If it worked out maybe I could grab a 76-78 front grill, lower valance and stuff that you've talked about for Patches at the same time. ;)

I have a 318 and a 360 in each of my parts 84/85 Ramchargers, I need to try and get them both running first, but one of the motors will be used in the one mostly complete RC when I convert it to my new plow truck. If they both run which ever one I don't end up using I might be willing to part with it. If you are interested I might also be convinced to toss it in the back of Patches on one of my trips down to the coast.;)

I'm in no big rush, but it's good to know there are plenty of options out there. :cool:

Took the 3 year old to McDonald's today, and a pretty 20-something girl walked in asking if that was my cool car outside. Kid had the biggest happy meal-eating grin on her face when I said "yes, it is". We're just enjoying it for now :)

I get a bit embarrassed by the "nice car!" comments, as to me, Goldmember is just an old slant six Dart that gives me something to tinker with and enjoy driving. When you get close, you can see the 50 years of door dings and original-ish paint, as well as the paint defects on the aftermarket hood scoops, and goof-ups on the painted on bumblebee stripe. It's not fast, loud or valuable, but it's mine going on 15 years now. I suppose the kid's big grin is worth keeping it another 15.

I get the "nice car" and "that thing is cool!" Comment's all the time when I'm out in The Shart. I almost always respond with "It's a 4 door? " then "Thanks". Those conversations usually end with "Do you want to sell it?" I always say "I do not!"

I drive the Shart damn near every day. I love the slant six. I don't think I even ran 2 tanks of gas through the Charger this year.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back