Jamie's wrecked '91 D-150 goes into the shop!

Jamies440

Divorced Bird
Hey all,

It actually warmed up some today so I was able to make some progress on moving the '91 around to where I can work on it. Remember, this one starts out as a $300 wreck that runs and drives. Its a '91 D-150 LE with a 318-TBI, A-500 auto, pretty much loaded up with power windows, locks, and mirrors. I'll post pics below.

After some inspection I found the drivers side of the frame was indeed tweaked some so its going to have to be pulled. But, before that can happen I need to pull the front clip off it which is why its in the garage now.

The plan is to get the frame pulled, try to straighten the core support, replace the grille, fender, and inner, and then drive it as my tow rig. If the support cant be straightened then I'll replace it if need be, my buddy has one.

Anyway here are some before pics, I'll try and get some new ones taken as I get it torn down and as things progress!

Attachments

• rtfront.jpg
    rtfront.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 15
  • leftfront.jpg
    leftfront.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 21
is the frame just tweeked at the bumper mounts or further back?...wouldnt mess with it if its tweeked further back

Its tweaked a little bit further back. Not bad though.

Today I made a bit of progress since it was in the garage. Pretty much got the grille off it, lower valance, bumper, and the fender and inner fender. Also pulled the hood off and moved the wiring out of the way so I can drive it around if I need to. I looked the frame over and it wont require too much to straighten. Its going into the shop as soon as I get the money.

I dont know if the core support can be straightened honestly. Its not crinkled up or anything its just bent down pretty bad on the drivers side.

I'll try to straighten it but if not I'll replace it. a Friend of mine has one for $75, or I could cheap out and put an '86-'90 one in it with that grille since I have a couple out here. Not real sure yet on what I want to do.

No pics yet, maybe tomorrow if I get some batteries in my camera.

And, for what I've got in it, $300, its worth it to spend $3-500 to fix the frame. Around here fixed right and painted its probably worth around $3-4k

And, for what I've got in it, $300, its worth it to spend $3-500 to fix the frame. Around here fixed right and painted its probably worth around $3-4k

Oh I agree with you there Jamie!:)

Might only be worth about $2500 out here but definetly worth fixin!:giggedy:

Well kind of a small update anyway. I had to move it outside so I could pull my '85 into the shop and work on the dang wipers and linkage. Luckily the one speed motor was that little square module that plugs into the outside of the motor. Linkage, wasnt so lucky. Had to replace all 4 bushings, what a pain! At least they are working right anyway with a delay and all!

Anyway, the '91 is outside. I threw the hood back over the motor and I'll tarp the frontend. The Core support is still in place as is the rt. fender.

I had a buddy come over and look at the core support and he thinks its saveable. I'll put a clamp on the lower part and pull it up and out with a come-along or something. Then I've gotta scrape up the dough to get it into a frame shop and have that frame pulled. He thinks its going to be easy, as it dont look to be off that much.

Still need to call the guy on the title, will probably do that this week or next. No hurry cause I'm out of $$ anyway, LOL!

Man, those freakin plastic wiper bushings are maybe the dumbest thing mopar ever did. I can tell you from experience that current generation trucks (at least an '06) do NOT have anything like that for the wiper linkage. I think they actually have heim joints. I may be remembering wrong, but I know that whatever they have is very obviously strong, enough so that it jumped out at me right away when I saw the setup.

I have the same problem with the frame.... and the dak is going to become a donor to whoever needs parts.... Im gonna try and get a Ram with my income tax return... hopefully.... if not im just gonna throw tierods and lift the front back up.... a couple used tires and drive it til i save up enough to buy a new truck.... :huh:

lots of nice ones sub 3 k now. I said in 1994 "I'm gonna get me one of those new rams, it might be 10 years old and rusty but I'll have one" :huh: :huh: still looking for elenore (of the rams)

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back