Jamies '86 Dodge project (LWB to SWB utiline!)

Jamies440

Divorced Bird
OK guys, here goes. This project has taken so many twists and turns before finally ending up on the road where I am now. I have had this truck stuck out back for some time. It started life as a 318-2v D-150 custom, an old mans truck. I bought it for $300 and it ran and drove, though poorly. Dang lean burn was hiding a 360 under it, though a regular 4-v didnt help solve the running issue. It was plain ole worn out.

Then came Mr. 400-2v. That was a fun and easy swap that I played with for awhile, but it had one problem, no reverse! I had planned to build a drag truck out of it, but it ended up simply being a test mule for some lowering parts and an axle flip. Kicked it out back and used it for parts storage for about 6 months or so.

This is where it takes another twist. I know, a lot of em huh? I decided to put it back to stock and use it for a truck. That was the plan. I pulled the rear axle out of my '88 shorty and threw some stock springs back into the truck along with some 5 on 4.5 rotors. I was going to run steelies all around, 15x8 Ramcharger wheels (I have a full set, no they arent FS!) out back and 15x6s up front. I also converted it back to PS.

Early on during the decision to build it back to stock I realized I didnt have a SB 727, as I was going to run a 318 in the truck. But what I did have was A-833OD parts! I had a cast iron version out of a '78 truck along with a V8 bellhousing and a 10.5 re-man clutch. All of it was gathering dust in storage. The tunnel was easy too, the '78 cab had a bolt in one and I also had the fiberglass hump from the same truck.

I did have to go to the JY and get the linkage and brackets, turns out in the mid 80s they used a universal Z-bar and simply spaced the ballstud out on a Slant. So, an '85 was the donor for the bar, the floor bracing, linkage, and the ballstud brackets, both of them. The pedals came from that '78 cab and the column came from another truck in that JY, an '81. All my JY parts were had for $20.

So, heres a round of pics. It goes from stock, to lowered, to back to stock again. There is more to this story ahead and it takes a drastic turn, which is par for the course with me.

Attachments

• leftfront.jpg
    leftfront.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 5
  • rtfront.jpg
    rtfront.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 5
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 5
  • rtrear.jpg
    rtrear.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 5
  • cutfloor.jpg
    cutfloor.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 6
  • hump.jpg
    hump.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 5
Now enter this gem, I nicknamed it the banana. It doesnt seem like it at the time, but it has everything to do with the direction of the '86. It started life out as a '76 Slant Six/3 speed utiline that was banana yellow. I'm sure it was a pretty cool truck in its day, but its wasted from the cab forward now. It got punched pretty hard in the left front and it was really rusty. Not to mention a SUNROOF had been put into it. probably decent in the day, it was broken and siliconed now. It HAD a 318-2v in it but it was locked. Really the only thing saveable from the cab forward was the pass. door and some interior parts.

Here are some pics of the Banana, and the final chapter of this story and current status of the project.

Attachments

• ltfront1.jpg
    ltfront1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 6
  • rtfront1.jpg
    rtfront1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 5
  • ltfront2.jpg
    ltfront2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 5
  • rtfront2.jpg
    rtfront2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 5
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 5
  • engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 4
well folks here is the final chapter. I'm sure you have guessed by now where I've ended up with this. Yes I decided to build an '86 utiline. I thought it would be cool to have a utiline as a driver and since the '86 was going to be put together as a fun driver, I figured I'd mate the two. Use the '86 cab and front clip on the Banana's chassis. and then continue as I had originally planned, use the 318 and the 4-spd OD.

So as of right now the cab is bolted down to the other chassis, the clip is bolted on though I need to bush the core support and drill holes in the crossmember to bolt it down. I've also got the steering box swapped to the one from the '86 so my column would bolt up. Plus it was a lot cleaner, it was off an '85 anyway. Basically its ready for the drivetrain to be finished up and bolted in.

The drivetrain right now is currently coming together. I got the pilot bushing hammered in place, the clutch and flywheel bolted up, and the bell is on the motor. I still need to paint it, swap the intake to the performer I've got for it and then drop it all in place. I've also got to wire the enginebay, swap the switches in the column, and do the brakes and linkage.

I'm suprised at how well its coming together and I'm really pleased with the progress I'm making.

Here are pics as of how it stands now.

Attachments

• ltfront.jpg
    ltfront.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 9
  • ltside.jpg
    ltside.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 10
  • rtfront2.jpg
    rtfront2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 6
Wow lots of work there Jamie....should be a neat truck when it's all back together.

Personaly those short/short boxs just don't do it for me but hey if YOU like it then that's all that really matters...;)

i think its just the front clip making the box look out of place.....toss a 70's clip on it and it would look fine i bet

Well a small update anyway. its back into the drive and I have been making a bit of progress, though not much. I did get the steering box replaced to the 80s one so my column would line up. I also figured out my fender gap issue. The back of the cab is hanging up on one of the frame crossmembers. I'll crawl under it and fix that and my fenders wont be under as much tension down low to keep the gaps.

The engine I've been working on too. the lower half is painted, the pilot bearing is installed and then the clutch was lined up and installed. I've also installed the bellhousing. I've pulled the intake and front accessories off it so I can install my performer and my late 80s bracketry.

I'd be making more progress but life and the weather have gotten in the way. Still want it under its own power by the 4th of july though but we'll see. The trans in my Dakota is acting screwy so I'm trying to hustle to get another one on the road because I know I'm on borrowed time with it.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back