IS A 273 COMMANDO MOTOR WORTH KEEPING/ BUILDING? OR>SELL IT?

LAWFISH

"A MOPAR FOR EVERY MOOD"
I bought a 70 Challenger a couple of months ago and it has a non running 273 Commando motor in it. Its a complete motor minus the original manifolds. It now has headers. I am obviously not going to keep this motor in the car and was wondering if I should store it and keep it, or try and move it. Are they decent motors to build? I dont know much about them. I see some of the parts are desirable on ebay and such, but it probably needs to be kept together. I do have a 67 dart with a plain jane 273 motor. I am going to sell that car when I get the title. Maybe I should sell thei motor with it? That way a buyer can build a commando motor with this dart and make it a GT or what ever.??

Any suggesiotns are they decent horse power Motors.

LAWFISH

some of us love em..others think there junk....ive had great luck with the plane jane 273s but i make sure they have the closed chambered head(mostly used on commando's) and drop a 340 cam into em...basicly converting them to a sort of commando setup..always wanted to compare my setup to a stock commando....to an A-body owner i belive there is some value in it

It might be worth something to an individual doing a period correct resto that calls for one. Outside of that its just an under bored teen with solids.:toot:

Last edited:
I kinda like to mess around with motors, if i had some extra cash, i'd see what those things are capable of. I know its nothing compared to its higher cubic inch displacment better, but it'd still be kinda fun to see what can be done to'm, but thats my opinion.

Never saw this thread originally, but a guest was viewing it and I happened to notice.

273s are great little engines that like to wind due to their lightweight reciprocating weight. I've seen a stock-bore 273 run in the 10s (the bore being about the only thing stock, along with the steel crank). Most of them have steel cranks that can be rebalanced for use in 318/340 applications. A friend of mine threw a stock '70s-era 360 four-barrel intake/carb combo and dual exhaust at his otherwise-stock '67 Dart GT two-barrel engine, and we had a lot of fun with it. It was surprisingly quick. He didn't win every race, but he won more than I'd have expected.

On the downside, they're basically identical to all the other LA engines bottom-end wise and give up 45 cubes to even the under-respected 318. As with the '70-down 318, they use lightweight rods (meaning weak, not some sort of sneaky race part) and absolute crap cylinder heads--even the most-restrictive smog-era open-chamber LA head outflows them considerably.

A high-compression 273 Commando engine makes a really nice street engine with later 340/360 heads (1.88" intakes--2.02" valves absolutely require a bore notch) along with a stock 340 cam, especially if you can get a '68 4-speed grind. The open-chamber heads not only flow far better, but will lower the compression to crap 87-octane pump-gas territory. Of course, you could throw all the same parts at a '71-up 318 and probably make 25-40 more horsepower, even considering the lower compression.

I lump the 273 in with the 350, 361, 383, 413 and 426W engines. More cubes=more power, so if you need one of those erstwhile boat anchors for your restoration or are out to prove a point by all means get one. If you're trying to make power, move up.to a 318/340/360 (I mention the 318 only because 340s are getting hard to find, and the 360 is sort of its own breed with the long-stroke 3.58" crank that was never forged steel from the factory). In the case of the low-deck motors, the 400 is the only block to have, and in the case of the RB engines, the 440 fits that bill.

I have no idea why I wasted this much time on a thread over four years old, yet I feel good about it.

273 ci chry engine run 10's...maybe with a rocket booster :bwuhaha:

C/MP vette with a 287 Chev and 11000 rpm would run 10's

you can't get decent valves in a 273 bore without notching the shit out of the bore.That's why we destroked the 340's ...9000 rpm and that's including the extra 1000 rpm we got with titanium valves...couldn't get the chry engine to run anywhere close to what the 277 and 287 ci Chev's would run...
shit Cotton and his 6 cyl Chev nova made more power than any 305 chry la engine ever could...now add a 273 bore problem and try and make the power to run 10's...just can't see it happening.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back