**important info for 96-01 Ram truck owners**

firefighter3931

I recently purchased a used truck (96 Ram Sport) and found some interesting information on another forum. Apparently there is a gov't mandated extended warranty for Catalytic converters on 96-01 Ram trucks and other dodge vehicles. Daimler has been directed to replace all defective cats at no cost to the customer.
icon_smile_big.gif

So, i called the number and gave them the vin and sure enough mine fell into the "fix it" category. The cat is rattleing at idle so i know it's bad and the dealer confirmed this and has one on order for me. There were 2 outstanding recalls that were also corrected when i brought the truck in.

The first is a faulty ignition switch wiring harness that is prone to overheating and subsequent fire hazard
shocked.gif
Apparently the blower motor and ignition switch are wired to the same circuit. The replacement harness has a relay in it to correct the problem.
thumbs.gif

The second recall is for a secondary hood latch mechanism. I'd say that's pretty important, last thing you need is the hood flying open at 70mph on the freeway !

Anyway, this is just a heads up for you Ram truck owners. If your trucks haven't been fixed with these updates and your cat is rattlein it's time to make the call....

Ron

here's the link to dodgeforum where i found the thread :
http://www.dodgeforum.com/m_352822/tm.htm

Here's a link to the EPA press release directing Chrysler to fix the problem :
http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/0/1751045d2387854f852570de006ea56a?OpenDocument

Yep- my cat came apart, fixed it. Yep my wiring got slightly melted, fixed that too. So theres no reason to get it to the dealer any longer. You know , I still get recall notices on my 84 caravan for the tailgate fix but like a dummy I fixed that too.:doh:

Da Ho, do you have the bill for the cat? My pickup had been done last year, sent em the bill & i'm getting back 493 bucks, my van was rattling for a year, beat the crap outta it to keep it running, (couldn't afford to fix it at the time) when the recall came, they wasted my time with a safty inspection,trying to sell me something, dirty fluids, brake pads, while i had it in for the cat so they would make up the lost labor, well I said just do the cat for now, took em a week to get the part & lost the truck for the whole day but got it done FREE, which is always good! Rich.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back