I'm in the Flooded area!

Jamies440

Divorced Bird
Well, not literally, my town is high and dry but there is SERIOUS flooding going on around me. Many islands. If you have heard on the news abut Independance, KS, then I'm north of that. But, I cant get into town because that highway is flooded bigtime. Cant go north either because 75 and 400 are both flooded out. East is the same way on the old highway, flooded.

I somehow got back into town from the North and west because of receeded floodwaters in Fredonia.

Anyway here are some pics of the flooding north of Sycamore and then ones east of Sycamore.

Dont worry the water isnt flowing at all north of sycamore in those pics, but it is east of town and I didnt get very close to that!

Attachments

• Floodpics0003.jpg
    Floodpics0003.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Floodpics0009.jpg
    Floodpics0009.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 38
  • Floodpics0013.jpg
    Floodpics0013.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Floodpics0015.jpg
    Floodpics0015.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 21
HOPE everything ok. we are here -hopein for the best for you guys down there

Man, I wish you could send some of that down here. Until the last few days it's been dry as a popcorn fart. I mean, we're like 12 or 14 inches below normal rainfall for the year so far.

Stay safe.

Saw a lot of that in Texas last week. It rained every day I was there, but I didn't see flooding where I was - but it flooded in areas all around me.

We could use some of that up here too.

We got about 10 minutes of a wicked downpour on Saturday - then zip.

It was funny when I told people in Texas that we were getting the exact same weather in Canada - without the rain - that they were getting. They just didn't believe me.

Then for fun, I'd tell them how where I live is further south than most of Oregon and I'm only about a 45 minute drive from the southernmost point in Canada which happens to be further south than the northern border of the state of California.... it's funny to watch their eyes as their brains scramble.

I know where Sycamore is. My wife is from Independence, and I spent many summers in Elk City with grandparents. I'm originally from closer to Topeka (Alma, though before Alma we lived in Toronto).

I see that everywhere is flooded there. On the plus side, there should be good boating later in the summer... Down side is all the crop damages. Could use some of that water here in Utah!

Be safe, take care of yourself. Help others if you can.

Is it just me or did everyone seem to over look the fact that Jamie is standing next to a decent looking, apparently drivable truck?? :wtf:

:bwuhaha:
He actually has one that's in one piece and runs! :gaga:

Then for fun, I'd tell them how where I live is further south than most of Oregon and I'm only about a 45 minute drive from the southernmost point in Canada which happens to be further south than the northern border of the state of California.... it's funny to watch their eyes as their brains scramble.
Shoulda told them that Michigan is the ONLY state in which you can actually go south to get to Canada. ;)

I mean, we're like 12 or 14 inches below normal rainfall for the year so far.

Hell, we don't get 12-14 inches of rain in 2 years. BTW, it's supposed to be 116 tomorrow, so all of you that want their revenge for all the evil things I posted about your winter weather 6 months ago, now's the time!:toot:

Hell, your 116 probably feels like about 95 or 98 here, what with all the humidity we have.

Somewhere around 110 humidity doesn't matter anymore. At 115 all you want is indoors out of the sun. Anything over 120 is just awefull. I lived near Death Valley for 8 years, and don't miss the heat at all. It is funny to see everyone here in northern Utah complain as it gets over 100, but it IS more humid than I am used to!!!

June, July, and August here are really something to experience if you've never felt heat with a lot of humidity. Especially July and August. Sweating does no good-there's very little evaporative cooling with the ambient humidity so high.

June, July, and August here are really something to experience if you've never felt heat with a lot of humidity. Especially July and August. Sweating does no good-there's very little evaporative cooling with the ambient humidity so high.
I hate humidity.

This year, we had some days where it was in the high 80s but with very low humidity. It was perfectly comfortable. A light breeze made it paradise.
Actually, this past weekend wasn't too bad for humidity.

I honestly don't remember ever experiencing that before. Or at least if I had, I was oblivious to the actual numbers and just figured the temperature was lower than it was.

I'm so used to having humid conditions that for the longest time, I have equated anything higher than 72 as too hot.

At what temperature does dampness become humidity?:hmmm:

:huh:

Yes, I've been in 90+ degrees with 90+ humidity, and it is miserable. But, have you ever opened your oven door after pre-heating to bake something? Well, imagine you're opening the front door of the house, and you're walking into the oven. That's what 115+ degrees feels like. Sure, "it's a dry heat," but it still bakes you. When we've hit 3 consecutive days in summer where we're 100+ with over 55 degree dew point, the 'monsoon' season has started. The rains we get are usually brief, but they can be heavy, with nasty winds. Walking outside just after it rains, with 115 degrees and humidity through the roof is misery. To make matters worse, everything absorbs so much heat during the day that the roads, sidewalks and buildings radiate the heat all night long. Daily LOWS are almost always in the 80's, often remaining above 90. The short downpours cab be the coolest part of a day, if your lucky enough to get rain. Your grocery store had better be close to home, 'cause any sort of travel time will defrost your frozen food fast.

I grew up in Kansas, and was stationed in Hawaii for 5 years, so I remember some humidity... But my time in the Mojave desert is "seared" into my memory (sorry...). I agree, walking into a blast furnace sucks. Trying to work on anything outdoors like that sucks too. I moved away from there last summer, loaded the trailer in 116* heat. But what made it worse was the 30% humidity. And no breeze... Dry heat my butt! My brother in law from Arkansas was out last year just before we moved and it hit 110 and he was not pleasant to be around...

I can deal with upper 80's + with humidity with no trouble, for the most part, but the second year I lived in Texas they had the third hottest summer since 1895. They said it was because of "El Nino", I was working for a company that set up transformers, and ran power lines for the electric company. There was 29 consecutive days of 100+ degrees

Welcome to Texas, Yankee

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back