Help code P0700

greg73cuda

Hey folks, long time since i've been here but today i find myself in need of your help.

My wifes 2004 dodge sx2 automatic, set a code P0700 transmission control system malfunction. We had just about to come to a complete stop & the car stalled as if it was a standard tranmission & forgot to put the clutch in. It started right up drove about 50 meters and the engine light came on. The transmission would only upshift into 2nd gear.

Question. WTF any suggestions. thanks

You need a scanner that can read the transmission control module codes, P0700 is just a generic code to light the engine light in the event of a transmission malfunction, as the transmission module will not light the engine light by itself.

Last edited:
Only shifting into 2nd gear means it probably went into 'Limp Mode'. I don't go back to work til tomorrow evening but, I'll see what I can dig up there. Probably won't be much but, it'll give ya an idea of what's going on.

The Neon lock-up converters are somewhat notorious for a short life. (50k-60k miles, 80,000km-96,000km), and it sounds to me that your converter wouln't un-lock when the brakes were applied. That triggered the "P0700 - Transmission Control System Malfunction" code, which in turn, like Fishy said, put the trans in limp mode.

My money is on you needing a new converter. They're not priced real bad, but the amount time/work is a pisser. :(

As I understand it, you can get it out of "limp mode" temporarily by disconnecting the battery for a period of time.
This, if it works, is only a temporary fix to the main cause, though.

Mark.

Ran the code through the computer at work. Here's what it had to say:

Code: p0700 Transaxle control system fault.

Explanation: The ECM has received a signal that the transaxle control module has a fault.
Probable cause: Shorted or open circuit within transaxle
or
Failure of transaxle control module.

Hope this helps a bit. I know little about modern computer controlled stuff in cars but, I'm sure someone else here can shed some more light on the issue.

thanks for your help guys. i was able to scan the transmission codes. i talked to my transmission rebuilder & he felt it was a circuit interuption issue. i've cleared the codes then inspected & cleaned all connections. started up & seems to run at idle ok. Toooo cold for a road test incase it leaves me on the road. Its suppost to be warmer tomorrow. I'll let you know,

Thanks

greg

codes re-appeared & had the same problem. 2nd gear. replaced the transmission solenoid and all is ok.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back