Freaking LAZERS.

Hmmm....very interesting....:hmmm:

That's what I said... when you think about it it makes way too much sense. Rather than having multiple plugs to a cylinder you can use one laser that would reflect off the piston. Now you've got multiple points of ignition vs. two at the top of the cylinder. Less parts to go wrong, more control to the ECM.

I'll cross my fingers that they bring back the barracuda... with LAZERS

maybe we should stop all this gimmickry and just retool the 63 Dodge Dart. A simple mpfi on a slanty would be scary efficient. Throw in some modern day radial tires, and an air bag then call it good.

I see a few problems...

1) Strength. Glass, in its purest form, is stronger that steel. Sadly, to make it that pure is quite expensive.

2) Carbon-fouling of the laSer lens. No matter how cleanly it runs, carbon particles are a by-product of the combustion process. If it doesn't get blocked completely, it will at least mess with the focus and positioning of the beam. The day anyone pulls a spark plug from an internal-combustion engine and there are no deposits of any kind on it after 3000 miles, please call me.

3) Replacement cost. Platinum spark plug: $3.29. Fouled/broken laSer? One that can generate that kind of heat will be in the thousands of dollars.

4) To detonate the air/fuel ratio with a beam of light on a surface (in this case, presumably the piston), the surface must be heated, quickly, to a temperature well above the flash-point of the incoming mixture. Well, you're firing at an aluminum piston, and aluminum melts at a pretty-low figure (1221°F) while the ignition point of gasoline is around 536°F. No big deal, until you figure in the fact that the piston is going to get hotter than 536°F overall due to the combustion and compression, and therefore the laSers must create "hot spots" in the desired areas to initial combustion from those points. My point being that it would seem that Ford's latest "better idea" is going to result in shorter piston life.

By the way, there would be no ignition at the laSer's lens. That is the final point at which the beam gets focused, and would not be sufficient to light the mixture. The multiple-point ignition source seems to be achieved by hitting the piston in several points with multiple-focus laSers.

"Laser" is actually an acronym (L.A.S.E.R.) for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation, but has become an actual word through common usage and pronuncation as such, and therefore is no longer spelled with all caps.

"Lazer" is a last name or a radio-station hook misspelled by DJs.

Sorry if I seem a dick, but much like the word "laser", I suffer from a complete lack of Zs. :doh: I did own an '86 Chrysler Laser XT Turbo, though. :D

Wow Jass...I didn't pick up at all that you were cheesed about our use of the "Lazer" instead of "Laser"......:D

But those are damn good points....See even lacking in Zees or is that Zeds...;)...your still smarter then me.:p

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back