Are you date coded anal?

jodaddy1 said:
greg73cuda said:
6PK "But the museum pieces are a nice preservation of history"

i appriciate the time & dedication of putting together a little history BUT for the average car hobbiest it can't be done. i know 2 guys who put together dated # matching concours cars with the intention of driving them, but they couldn't bring themselves to bring them out more than 1 of 2 times a years. what fun is that.

greg73cuda

I agree put the museum pieces where they belong.... build your car to enjoyit however that may be.
I've always felt sorry for the museum pieces they were built to be driven not put on a pedestal IMHO!

Dave

I just put brand new carbs on the T/A. They're beautiful, they work perfect, and 2 out of the 3 have the correct part number. You would literally have to use a mirror and a flashlight to see the part numbers and (incorrect) date codes. I put my old carbs up for auction. Someone who CAN'T sleep at night without correct dates on his carbs will buy them. I'll get most all of the money I spent for new carbs back. The buyer will get correct carbs that work OK but have that dull gray finish that carbs get when they are boiled in parts cleaner.
He will rebuild & re-plate them, and finally get a good nights sleep for his $1800 total investment. I'll sleep good too, knowing that I have beautiful brand new carbs that I don't have to mess with.

Actually I think it's a little absurd to have a BRAND NEW PART with an OLD date code (plug wires, heater hoses, etc). Isn't that "not quite the truth?"

My favorite is guys with pre-'68 Mopars that are "numbers matching"...

Uh, how? [smilie=e:

I don't get full-boogie restoration. I appreciate it, but why the hell would I return a car to a condition some marketing jackass thought I would like? I think personalization makes a car truly one's own.

Dr.Jass said:
I think personalization makes a car truly one's own.

Couldn't agree more. My 68 charger is getting a rollbar, frame connecters, lca boxes and a host of other performance/safety upgrades...and it will be driven....HARD !!! [smilie=e:

Ron

My original drivetrain was long gone even before I got my car. It already had the sixpack on it too so I left it on there and replaced the carbs.
To show you how date coded and numbers illiterate I was, when I first got the car, the radiator was shot so I just got a Modine and tossed the original not even thinking about numbers! [smilie=2:
I did just pick up a date correct 340 block but I mainly got that because it's pristine! A number 1 cast and stock bore with only .010 taper.[img]http://www.mopar1.us/icons/heartpump.gif[/img]
It's close enough for the laymen!
baeh-schild.gif

In a word NO ! I mean date coded is cool but I would rather have a nice clone that looks stock then a factory original thats a turd. I like the stock factory muscle look and if it has that but the #'s dont match I dont care if its a nice car. I guess I feel like that because I am not in this hobby to buy and sell muscle cars and make a profit I am in it to buy , keep , build and drive my muscle cars ! Ron

383man said:
In a word NO ! I mean date coded is cool but I would rather have a nice clone that looks stock then a factory original thats a turd. I like the stock factory muscle look and if it has that but the #'s dont match I dont care if its a nice car. I guess I feel like that because I am not in this hobby to buy and sell muscle cars and make a profit I am in it to buy , keep , build and drive my muscle cars ! Ron
:beer: :beer: :beer: Well said Ron

Dave

IMO a #s car should be left to only a few things
#1 a survivor
#2 some rare car..IE that factory odd color odd option less than 200 or so built
#3 less than 50 of that body style still remains
#4 the car is being built and sent to a mueseum for the remainder of its life

#s car restos for showing and tailering is just silly

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back