Are you date coded anal?

909Hemi

Do you lose sleep at night, afraid that someone will spot the incorrect build date on your wiper motor? Somehow, I feel like I'm supposed to care. Maybe all the magazine articles and the current high prices on our cars make me feel like that. Personally though, I don't give a crap, just as long as the part is otherwise correct.

If it's not a unique car, I could care less. Even some of the unique ones are too far gone to be restored back to original and should be personalized by the owner.

Personally I find all of that lame & boring.

If it makes a person happy,they should approach it that way I guess, but you will not find me fretting about it.

I don't worry about it either it would cost too much to do my car like that!
I just want it to look nice it won't be a trailer queen!

Dave

the way i look at it ...it is nice to have some that are period perfect, but those belong in a museum .... and other then that lets just put parts on em and drive [smilie=e:

Date code anal.... [smilie=e: ..depends on the car. If it's a low number, [i]desirable[/i] car, keep it correct. If you really must build it, sell the rare one and use the Xtra cash to build a clone to your specs.

*Giggle* He said anal. [smilie=e: [smilie=e:

Date coding has it's place but it means diddly squat to me. [smilie=bunny.gif]

Depends on the car. My GTX and Duster - nothing's original on those anyway so who gives a damn? The Dart is mostly original, so if I can I'll rebuild things when needed rather than replace them with another part.

Am I going to lose sleep over it? Get real. :D

If someone expects me to pay $2.5 million for a car, then yes I want it date coded correct. But also note that the date coded cars are more often than not 2 ton paperweights that guys oowww and aawwww over and do nothing but occupy time and space. These are automotive art. Same as a painting on a wall. I cannot condemn anyone for appreciating the time and effort to turn back the clock on these cars, and I honestly am astounded at the time, effort, and coin it takes to make one of these.
That said, I'd sooner hit third gear on the blacktop in a 3.91 equipped 1968 rusty road runner with ripped seats and piston rings that are but a fond memory.

But the museum pieces are a nice preservation of history.

I'm a weird hybrid (mutant) maybe ingred on this one...

My car is not original, but I plan to get it looking as stock as I can.
However, I plan to do some little upgrades here and there (like headlight relays for instance).

If along the way, I can get a correct casting or a date coded part or rebuild what I have, I'll do it.

Do I lose sleep over it? No.

Will I stop when it's driving and looking perfect? No. I'll probably still continue to look for ways to make it more original.

I'm hopelessly holding on to the hope (huh?) that I'll come across the original 383.

I think I'm dong this for two reasons:
It's a strangely optioned car.
It's my first restoration and I don't know any better.

well most of my car is original. if i have the right part it will go back on if not to will not matter. I wont waste time trying to find date coded parts because they still wont be original

id rather look at a period correct car than a date code correct car...#s matching is a sellers tool nothing more

6PK "But the museum pieces are a nice preservation of history"

i appriciate the time & dedication of putting together a little history BUT for the average car hobbiest it can't be done. i know 2 guys who put together dated # matching concours cars with the intention of driving them, but they couldn't bring themselves to bring them out more than 1 of 2 times a years. what fun is that.

greg73cuda

69.5CUDA said:
#s matching is a sellers tool nothing more

I disagree.

Now,
A "date coded" block, is a seller's selling tool. For some reason, sellers actually think date coded blocks raise the price of a car...they don't.

Hmmmmmmmm with a body color k frame why should I bother! [smilie=e:
No i don't think I'd ever go that far, just want em to look perty & run well! The 74 will be built (i think) as a stock car, remove the headers, maybe even pull the cam, I want that car with a/c workin for hot weather cruisin,look stock but it will have lots of new or remanned parts!

greg73cuda said:
6PK "But the museum pieces are a nice preservation of history"

i appriciate the time & dedication of putting together a little history BUT for the average car hobbiest it can't be done. i know 2 guys who put together dated # matching concours cars with the intention of driving them, but they couldn't bring themselves to bring them out more than 1 of 2 times a years. what fun is that.

greg73cuda

I agree put the museum pieces where they belong.... build your car to enjoyit however that may be.

greg73cuda said:
but they couldn't bring themselves to bring them out more than 1 of 2 times a years.

Wusses, I've even been known to lean on mine occasionaly. [smilie=c:

[size=2]Hell, I even let 6pack'er drive it.[/size] [smilie=2:

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back