Anyone here familiar with GN/Turbo T Buicks?

not a charger

Anyone? I'm looking at some GNs and Turbo-Ts (same as a GN, basically). Pros? Cons? Hard to work on or tune for a knucklehead like me?

Great little cars, easy to hop up and fun to boot! If you are going to keep it stock, look for an 87 GN, slightly more juice. :)
My buddy bought one brand new off the dealer floor...we had a hoot in it. :)

I've owned 3 turbo buicks at different points. Year for year, there's NO mechanical difference between a t-type and a grand national. (well, in 1987 the t-type was actually called the turbo-t.)

You want a 1986 or 1987-those are the intercooled ones. Though the '87 models are rated at 10 more hp than the 86's (245 vs 235), there's absolutely NO difference at all between them. I think the rating difference was related to the corvette-the turbo buick stayed 5 or 10 hp below the vette in official ratings because the vette is gm's flagship performance car. Anyway, back to the buick...it will have an 8 1/2" 10 bolt rearend, which is quite strong. It will also have 3.42 gears, and may or may not have positraction depending on what the car was ordered with. If the option sticker code is still in the trunk, the code for posi is G80. It will also have a 200-r4 with a turbo-specific valvebody and converter.

One of if not THE main weak spots in these cars is wiring, specifically underhood wiring. It's now a minimum of 20 years old, and is subjected to very high heat. They can be made to run fast as hell cheap, that's for sure.

I'll stop rambling now, but if you have more questions about the cars, ask away.

Rust is also a problem mostly in the T-top cars but also the moonroof ones. 87 had the electronic brake booster parts for that are hard to come by but it can be changed over to vacuum

I know there are a bunch of flat out evil ones running around out here. I've lost count how many I've seen run high 10's to low 12's and then drive home. Eeeek. :2thumbs::)

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back