• Links to external websites may be affiliate links that generate revenue. Clicking the links do not add any cost to your transcations, if you choose to purchase.

1969 Radiator

pbtim

I am having a heck of a time trying to find this radiator. I need one for my 1969 Plymouth Fury with a 318. Aftermarket i can only find new rads for the /6 and the big blocks. I will take anything that will fit. Driver's side in, driver's side out. 24 1/4" across from mounting bolt to mounting bolt and about 22 1/2" high. Mine is heavily corroded inside but i do have one if you need a core in return. Thanks.

as long as you have the tanks any rad shop can make you a new one...and it will likely be cheeper than an aftermarket unit

Perhaps look into truck stuff... that's what I did. Where else would I find a 28" x 19" three-row radiator for my '81 LeBaron? :dance: :D

Of course, I had to trim the core support to make it fit, but there might be some pre-'70 truck stuff that's close enough that you could redrill the mounting brackets and not modify the car.

A question...

Why wouldn't a big block rad fit in there? My 383 has a dinky little 22 inch radiator that looks more at home inside my Honda CR-V.

Most of the big blocks have the hoses routed to opposite corners of the radiator when compared to a small block. There are some older really large BB water pumps that route the hoses the same way as the SB but those are few and far between anymore.

Does anyone here know what those monstrosities would have been installed in originally? That might be another place to find a radiator that will work.

The massive radiator I recently put in the Challenger (318 as well) came out of an early 90's full size Dodge SB van. It JUST fit inside the frame rails and all I did to mount it was drill four small holes to bolt it to the radiator support. Put some self tapping screws in to hold it and reattached the hoses. I did have to slide the nuts back on the tranny lines and use short pieces of rubber hose and screw clamps to attach the tranny lines since the new rad had nipples and not the original type threaded bosses going into the lower tank.

Last edited:
Most of the big blocks have the hoses routed to opposite corners of the radiator when compared to a small block. There are some older really large BB water pumps that route the hoses the same way as the SB but those are few and far between anymore. Does anyone here know what those monstrosities would have been installed in originally? That might be another place to find a radiator that will work.

a new rad is way too expensive, but i went to another junkyard and actually found a big block radiator in a coronet 500 and it practically bolted in yesterday. Anything after 1969 won't work because in 70, the small block water pump outlet apparantly switched sides

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back