1971 Dodge Charger WM23 Factory Super Bee, 383 V8, 4-Speed Pistol Grip

b-body-bob

1971 Dodge Charger WM23 Factory Super Bee, 383 V8, 4-Speed Pistol Grip | eBay

Seems like this would be pretty rare and, in the big scheme of things, that price is probably proportionally right compared given the current pricing.

(Bigger photos are at 1971 Dodge Charger)

1971-dodge-charger

1971-dodge-charger

1971-dodge-charger

1971-dodge-charger

I didn't realize the N96 hood was used on these.

1971-dodge-charger

This looks like something they forgot to remove on the line.

1971-dodge-charger

Almost forgot - this tiny bee is weird, right?
1971-dodge-charger

It's a gorgeous car, for sure. I want to like it a lot more than I do, but it confuses and somewhat frightens me.

I understand the gold/gold top/gold interior color change, because it was horribly ugly when new. But if you're going to start modifying, why do things like add electronic ignition and chambered mufflers, but leave 4-wheel drums? Add wings but not gussy up the back end with bazooka tips and their attendent valance?

Those quibbles, along with the bedlined underside and painted bumpers (seriously--you couldn't make the bolts at least match?!) point to cut corners. Still, the air shocks and awful-looking reproduction Tuff wheel would be the first things gone, along with the gaudy non-original grille emblem and tacky quarter-panel stickers.

It's just an odd mixture, and being a low-option, non-numbers Bee that's miles away from a restoration, the price seems rather high to me.

But that tiny decklid Bee? Yeah, it's stock and even almost correctly located. The second "weirdo" data tag is a common find on Lynch Road cars. I haven't found anyone that can decipher 'em, though.

It IS a gorgeous car!
But, yeah... it ain't a restoration.

I'd drive the Hell out of it, though.

One of our former customers had a '71 500 from new. It was an all-out street warrior when he became our customer, with a very nice 451, stripped out interior and done in flat black. Originally it was triple gold with 383, column shift. He showed me extensive pictures of when he first got it, in the fall of '71, and it was a gorgeous car, gold and all.

I’m mixed here. Always loved that particular year and trim. Same as Doc if I was building it why the crappy execution. Didn’t quite go in as far as they should.

It IS a gorgeous car!
But, yeah... it ain't a restoration.

I'd drive the Hell out of it, though.
As would I, after a few changes.

I was thinking this car would be well-bought at about $35K-$38K, but I honestly don't know anymore. People are paying some stupid prices for cars. Nearly $75K for a merely OK Duster?! A Duster?! It happened at Mecum recently.

I honestly don't know anymore
I tried to get that across in the OP - "that price is probably proportionally right compared given the current pricing."

Nearly $75K for a merely OK Duster?! A Duster?! It happened at Mecum recently.
Junk for drunks.

I watched some of the BJ circus this past weekend. Fools high-fiving each other for over paying on everything. They're not happy for what they bought, they're happy that other people can't afford the lifestyle they have.

The old men and roid-ragers going crazy over $150k Broncos was, well, something.

When I was looking for a 71 Bee I came across this car...the colour changes and the quality and execution of the "restoration" just didn't work for me. I know I am the odd one but I would have much prefered the car left in the original Tawny Gold with a Gold top and interior....Never been a fan of the high impact colours...with the exception being FM3 and maybe B5.

When I was looking for a 71 Bee I came across this car...the colour changes and the quality and execution of the "restoration" just didn't work for me. I know I am the odd one but I would have much prefered the car left in the original Tawny Gold with a Gold top and interior....Never been a fan of the high impact colours...with the exception being FM3 and maybe B5.
It's so close, too. It's mostly piddly details that could've been easily avoided but represent a bit of work now. Clearly it's been for sale quite awhile, based on how long you've had the Coronet back in your possession, so there must be some merit to the criticisms. I'm a complete sucker for the center fold-down armrest and 4-speed combination, so this car trips a big trigger with me, but... Had I been the one "restoring" it, the paint would've been 1971 A4, the vinyl would've been black canopy-style, and the bumpers would still be chrome. Then again, I wouldn't have been doing the work to resell, either.

The original Dark Gold might've looked OK with the matching vinyl, but the tan interior? Not so good. I've a friend with an unrestored Y8 gold 1972 Charger Rallye with the "gold" interior (it's actually light tan, almost yellow). Despite its excellent condition, the interior is just not a pleasant hue in which to immerse oneself... it's too yellow. Regardless, despite its lower general appeal, the car would've had more value in its original scheme. There's always someone like you looking for such a car, and "quick sale" colors aren't always the best option. I believe in a lot of cases, shoppers say, "Oh, another Hemi Orange (or B5, E5, C7, etc.) one..." and keep looking.

B5 isn't a "Hi Impact" color, by the way, nor was E5 red. M3 was a Spring 1970 color only, but appears in 1971 paint-chip charts since the 1970 charts were made months before M3 debuted (I've never seen a '70 chip chart with M3 on it). The same chip situation is true of J6, although it was available throughout '71. Any later factory M3 car would have a "999" paint code. Apparently only about 4,000 M3 cars were built (excepting any 999 cars, which wouldn't have been tracked).

There's always someone like you looking for such a car, and "quick sale" colors aren't always the best option. I believe in a lot of cases, shoppers say, "Oh, another Hemi Orange (or B5, E5, C7, etc.) one..." and keep looking.

Exactly my mindset...but even originally coded cars in factory bright colours have never really done it for me, I've always preferred the earth tones...brown, green, beige, blue, gray, etc.

Seeing cars at shows that are coded for A4 or T5 then painted the above mentioned B5, E5, C7 just make me weep a little inside.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back